Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can Linux Os Ruin Laptops?

Beans

Re: Can Linux Os Ruin Laptops?

The harddrive "bug" is not Linux, but the manufacturers not choosing sane defaults.

I know that the lm-sensors package can kill thinkpads if you don't read the warning and tell it to continue anyway.

Linux won't kill your laptop, unless you do something incredibly stupid which you can do on Windows anyway.
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by macogw View Post
    There is ONE way I have heard of. One of my friends was trying to write a video card driver for Linux in 1992 because his card wasn't supported. In an attempt to figure out how the card worked so he knew how to program it, he sent power through each pin on the card. When he sent too much power through the wrong pin, it went up through the cable and blew up the monitor. He went through 3 monitors writing that driver XD
    I'm sorry but that sounds like a load of BS to me. First of all you cannot send power to all the pins of the card as that is not how the PCI/AGP bus was designed. There is no way in hell you can deliver power to the adress or data bus pins. Power can only be delivered via the dedicated power pins. Secondly the monitor output is usually isolated from most of the other circuitry. This just sounds a bit way to far fetched to me.

Edit:
    In 1992 it was probably a ISA or EISA bus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I am using ubuntu with my toshiba m70 for several months now with no problems. the battery lasts longer than in xp, and the whole system runs faster thanks to the lack of antivirus and antispyware scanners.
    Ubuntu user #20092 || I can't sing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Kzin View Post
    Installing Ubuntu right now on an Alienware Area 51. I'll let you know how it goes.

Failure =( :'(

But it didn't mess up the laptop at all. Re-imaged to OEM XP Home just fine. *sniff*

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123