• It's awesome!

67 30.73%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried KDE 4?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Has anyone tried KDE 4?

Hello. I know it hasn't been officially released yet, but I wanted to know if any of you have tried the betas or RC's and what you think of it. Is it really THAT good?

Thanks

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Has anyone tried KDE 4?

I have to say that so far with my experiences from RC1 and RC2 that it's horrid!

Beans

It depends on how you look at it. It's exactly in the state that the developers say its in; unfinished with a bunch of work left to do on it. They're finishing up the work on all the backends now, which is basically stuff that you can't really see as an end user unless you know what you're looking for. At midnight tonight is the freeze for KDE 4.0, which means that any code uploaded after midnight won't make it into 4.0, except for fixing errors in the code which prevent it from building correctly.

A lot of the stuff that the end-user can see is slated to be finished by 4.1; this means Plasma, and I think Amarok 2, KOffice 2, and other things as well. The time between 4.0 and 4.1 is to finish up the things that I mentioned above, and hopefully get a lot of users to submit usability and code bug reports.

So to answer your question, I wouldn't use KDE4 as my primary system right now due to its unfinished state, but if I have time, I will install it and try to help with bug reports and such. I like the work that's been done for it, but that's because I've kept track of its progress, and I'm coming at it with the understanding that a lot of the user-visible stuff isn't yet complete.

Beans

Haven't tried it yet (come across a system with it installed for example), because since I am a GNOME user I am not really interested in 'haunting' it down prior to schedule.

Joe.
    "I've got the money to use Windows." "Great!, I've got the knowledge to use Linux."

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmusician View Post
    IThey're finishing up the work on all the backends now, which is basically stuff that you can't really see as an end user unless you know what you're looking for.
    Akonadi (PIM) and Decibel (real-time communication) haven't been finished either (beside Plasma) so hopefully those missing frameworks will be introduced with 4.1. It means though that we'll have to wait at least until 4.2 before all applications use them unless some developers work with the development versions (which some already do actually).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    I have to say that so far with my experiences from RC1 and RC2 that it's horrid!
    I concur. And it's not just the overwhelming amount of bugs, either; the whole thing is just a complete mess.

Beans

Tried RC1+RC2, not impressed at all. It'll probably be better once distributions are built around it and 4.1 is released, right now it just seems liek a buggy, unfinished mess.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'm using it right now Using the latest SVN version. When it is released I will just use the regular packages (I'm using Arch, so I'm assuming the KDE4 packages will replace the KDE3 ones). I can tell you now that the RC2 is very unstable. The actual release will be much more beautiful, stable and feature packed. If you want it to have it stable and all native apps (no KDE3 apps) I recommend you wait until KDE 4.1, which will be released later this year.
    Current distro: Kubuntu 11.04 + KXStudio

Beans

I tried RC2 and it's horrible.

It still feels buggy, the "start" menu is useless/crappy and the panel at the bottom is huge. It's not usable on a laptop because it takes up to much of the screen.

I however like the stardard widgets.

Beans

I'm sure once it is finished it will be pretty.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast