Thread: DOSBox directory

Beans

DOSBox directory

I installed dosbox with synaptic and I want to know where the directory is from dosbox so that I can install a front-end for it?

Somebody an idea ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: DOSBox directory

Hmm, I always use dosbox the old fashioned way... i think you can use synaptic, and right click on dosbox and choose properties (or something like that), and have it show you where it's installed.
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I don't have dosbox installed, so I can't tell you where it's installed. But you can easiely find it out for yourself by typing "which dosbox".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Your post is a bit confusing and I'm not sure what you mean... but if you want to know where "dosbox" was installed, just go to Synaptic, right click on the dosbox package, choose "Properties" and it will show you in the "Installed Files" option which files were installed with that package and where they were installed.

In the version I have installed I see this:

/.
    /usr
    /usr/bin
    /usr/bin/dosbox
    /usr/share
    /usr/share/man
    /usr/share/man/man1
    /usr/share/man/man1/dosbox.1.gz
    /usr/share/doc
    /usr/share/doc/dosbox
    /usr/share/doc/dosbox/changelog.Debian.gz
    /usr/share/doc/dosbox/THANKS
    /usr/share/doc/dosbox/changelog.gz
    /usr/share/doc/dosbox/README.Debian
    /usr/share/doc/dosbox/copyright
    /usr/share/doc/dosbox/NEWS.gz
    /usr/share/doc/dosbox/README.gz
    /usr/share/doc/dosbox/dosbox.conf.example.gz
    /usr/lib
    /usr/lib/menu
    /usr/lib/menu/dosbox

As you can see, with the exeption of the dosbox directory in "/usr/share/doc/" no directory was created just for this program. Personally, I created one in my home folder inside of which I installed another one containing one game ("Civilization").

When I want to run it, I just type "dosbox ~/dosbox/civ/CIV.EXE" or "dosbox ~/dosbox/civ/" and then "civ".

If by "front-end" you mean, for example, a short-cut in the tool bar, right click on it, choose "Add to Panel...", "Costum Application Launcher" and in the "Command" section put the dosbox command you use to run the game.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Seems like he means "which directory is 'mounted' as C:\ inside Dosbox?" - atleast that's how I read it, and I'm slightly curious about that myself

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frank_b
    Your post is a bit confusing and I'm not sure what you mean... but if you want to know where "dosbox" was installed, just go to Synaptic, right click on the dosbox package, choose "Properties" and it will show you in the "Installed Files" option which files were installed with that package and where they were installed.

In the version I have installed I see this:

/.
    /usr
    /usr/bin
    /usr/bin/dosbox
    /usr/share
    /usr/share/man
    /usr/share/man/man1
    /usr/share/man/man1/dosbox.1.gz
    /usr/share/doc
    /usr/share/doc/dosbox
    /usr/share/doc/dosbox/changelog.Debian.gz
    /usr/share/doc/dosbox/THANKS
    /usr/share/doc/dosbox/changelog.gz
    /usr/share/doc/dosbox/README.Debian
    /usr/share/doc/dosbox/copyright
    /usr/share/doc/dosbox/NEWS.gz
    /usr/share/doc/dosbox/README.gz
    /usr/share/doc/dosbox/dosbox.conf.example.gz
    /usr/lib
    /usr/lib/menu
    /usr/lib/menu/dosbox

As you can see, with the exeption of the dosbox directory in "/usr/share/doc/" no directory was created just for this program. Personally, I created one in my home folder inside of which I installed another one containing one game ("Civilization").

When I want to run it, I just type "dosbox ~/dosbox/civ/CIV.EXE" or "dosbox ~/dosbox/civ/" and then "civ".

If by "front-end" you mean, for example, a short-cut in the tool bar, right click on it, choose "Add to Panel...", "Costum Application Launcher" and in the "Command" section put the dosbox command you use to run the game.
    That's what I meant, it's stored in /usr/bin/, now I can tell dosboxer where he can find dosbox.

Beans

I'm using the pydosbox frontend for dosbox now this program is easy to use.
    It's written in python.

pydosbox: http://www.panayotis.com/pydosbox/index.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

OK then. "Gotcha".

In your terms then, the "dosbox directory" is the "/usr/bin/" one, since the program itself it's just the "dosbox" file that was installed in this directory and besides the "doc" and "man" files, I just checked, the dosbox file in "/usr/lib/menu/" seems to be apparently just a reference to the Debian menu.

I had never heard of a front-end program for dosbox, so I though you might be a newbie like myself and be using the term incorrectly. Sorry.