Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: regarding viruses attacks less in linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: regarding viruses attacks less in linux

Quote Originally Posted by ~LoKe View Post
    Sorry bud, but someone who writes viruses is a hacker not just a cracker. There are several different types of hackers, the most prominent two would be white hat and black hat hackers.

White hat hackers are the guys who mostly go around trying to find vulnerabilities in the systems of random businesses and tell them how to fix it. Lots of people make a living off this; they don't always do it for free.

Black hat hackers are basically the ones who find and exploit security vulnerabilities for their own personal/political gain.
    You're correct in your black/white hat descriptions, but not entirely justified in correcting Steveway. "Hacker" used to be a term describing guys who do cool stuff with technology, whereas "cracker" was a guy who did the bad stuff. These terms are outdated, though, and now it's useless to try to keep the distinction alive - the public has gotten its claws into the term and has been using it incorrectly for so long that it's now accepted to refer to a hacker as a guy who does the bad stuff.

Some people are still trying to hold on to the original meanings, but they're fighting a losing battle (actually, a battle that has been lost for decades) - sorry Steveway!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Mud.Knee.Havoc View Post
    You're correct in your black/white hat descriptions, but not entirely justified in correcting Steveway. "Hacker" used to be a term describing guys who do cool stuff with technology, whereas "cracker" was a guy who did the bad stuff. These terms are outdated, though, and now it's useless to try to keep the distinction alive - the public has gotten its claws into the term and has been using it incorrectly for so long that it's now accepted to refer to a hacker as a guy who does the bad stuff.

Some people are still trying to hold on to the original meanings, but they're fighting a losing battle (actually, a battle that has been lost for decades) - sorry Steveway!
    A "Hacker" is someone who makes an electronic (telephone, computer, etc) do something it's not supposed to do. So, a cracker is still a hacker, just not a nice one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

This whole thread is getting a little off topic. To get back to rraj.be's original question, there are several reasons Linux is more secure than Windows:

1. There are fewer viruses and spyware and malware applications written for Linux.
    2. Security holes tend to get patched more quickly in such an active development community.
    3. It does not have a very insecure web browser (IE) built into the operating system in such a way that it is almost impossible to remove without breaking the system.
    4. The system of user priviliges prevents applications from installing themselves without your knowledge and inhibits their spread.
    5. The repository system is safer than downloading unknown software from the Internet.
    6. No ActiveX.

That'll do for a start. Anyone have any others to add?
    Intel P4 2.4GHz @ 2.8GHz, Asus P4B533, 512MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM, ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 7500. Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy).
    When you get the help you need, please mark the thread [Solved].

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mud.Knee.Havoc View Post
    Hey, I for one refuse to give up the linguistic difference The public may be uninformed and misusing the term but that's only because the people in the know let them. I go out of my way to correct people when possible, and if everybody stepped up and corrected people we could get this mess cleaned up in a few years.
    UbuntuBeginnersTeam
    Feel free to PM or IM me if you have any other questions, I'm here to help
    Where are all your files hiding? Look Here

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by PeterJS View Post
    Hey, I for one refuse to give up the linguistic difference The public may be uninformed and misusing the term but that's only because the people in the know let them. I go out of my way to correct people when possible, and if everybody stepped up and corrected people we could get this mess cleaned up in a few years.
    I used to be the one to correct people when they spoke of hackers and crackers, but if you get down to definitions, a cracker is a hacker.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ~LoKe View Post
    I used to be the one to correct people when they spoke of hackers and crackers, but if you get down to definitions, a cracker is a hacker.
    I'll grant you that a cracker is a sub set of hacker. All crackers are hackers, but not all hackers are crackers.
    UbuntuBeginnersTeam
    Feel free to PM or IM me if you have any other questions, I'm here to help
    Where are all your files hiding? Look Here

Beans

I think I need another beer!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by PeterJS View Post
    I'll grant you that a cracker is a sub set of hacker. All crackers are hackers, but not all hackers are crackers.
    Depends which definition of hacker you go by. All white hat hackers are crackers.

Beans

I gave up on this argument 20 years ago.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    1. Most Windows users use Windows XP and operate as administrator, because the way XP is set up, it's too much trouble to run as a limited user.

2. There is a higher percentage of Windows users who are not computer savvy and thus are more susceptible to social engineering, which is how a lot of breaches in security happen.

3. Windows is a bigger target on the desktop/laptop scene and has more malware produced for it (almost the computer equivalent of living in a "bad neighborhood").
    It says your forum staff... I question why.
    1) True, but no relevance[ was said].
    2) Wrong.
    3) So extremely wrong I could cry.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/securit...x/#execsummary
    Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by eolson View Post
    I gave up on this argument 20 years ago.
    Well said.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast