Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going to Fedora Core 3 for a while...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Going to Fedora Core 3 for a while...

Has anyone ever got SELinux working in Ubuntu or Debian? I've been curious, and I see a few packages in apt-cache, but wouldn't know where to start really.

But I agree jdong. Fedora is just a pain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I guess my next big project will be to rip SELinux Targeted Policies from Fedora.

My last venture with Yast2 failed miserably!
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Bottom line: I'm switching back now. Screw this. Redhat is using all of us as testing subjects with Fedora...

Starting to download Hoary images....
    Yay! This story has a happy ending after all.

And jdong lived happily ever after....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lol, at the end, I decided to go Warty... I don't want my primary desktop on a bleeding edge development distro -- I'll go easy and stay on the stable branch!

Oh yeah, me and spazzing out to try other distros... don't worry about it... I tend to do that excessively... I can boast that I've used all top 30 Distrowatch.org listed distros, and more!
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm glad you stuck with us. I think you made a good decision picking Warty, too. It is rock solid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Lol, at the end, I decided to go Warty... I don't want my primary desktop on a bleeding edge development distro -- I'll go easy and stay on the stable branch!

Oh yeah, me and spazzing out to try other distros... don't worry about it... I tend to do that excessively... I can boast that I've used all top 30 Distrowatch.org listed distros, and more!
    Glad to know I'm not the only distro junkie around!
    $ whatis themeaningoflife
    themeaningoflife: not found

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HungSquirrel
    Glad to know I'm not the only distro junkie around!
    your not, i downloaded fc3 a few days after its release. i also have mandrake 10.1 and the latest gentoo. i just dont have as much time as i used to to test distros anymore. plus warty works great, it would be a waste to undo all that tweaking.

i will someday test the latest core, as far as i am concerned they only have one place to go from fc2 and that is up. however peoples expieriences i have read about, not sure that is true.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans
    Hidden!

hehehe...
    i am going the other way round. i will erase my last fc3 and gentoo partitions soon and have ubuntu only on all of my boxes. no need for something different in my case.

Beans

Jong,

Have you upgraded Warty's kernel to 2.6.9? That's the only way I can see Security Enhanced Linux being integrated into Warty or Hoardy.

I do notice that SPM has checkpolicy, libselinux1, libselinux-dev, policycoreutils, selinux-policy-default, libpam, sysvinit and util-linux. So all you would need would be to patch in slat, vixie-cron, libselpol, etc. http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/code/download5.cfm You'd probably have to hack the PATHs in the complete kernel but you would end up doing all the work in the SPM packages.

I wonder if Hoary has all the rest of the necessary libs?, since it is based on 2.6.9.

I know that you must've tried OpenBSD, FreeBSD...

The way you feel about FC3 is how I felt about FC1 after being happy with RH9. Had RH continued support for Red Hat 9 I would never had found Ubuntu.

Sounds like you'd need a dual boot Ubuntu, one for production and one for test. I had a dual Warty / Hoary and ended up just using Warty. It just seemed as too much work when I was perfectly happy with Warty.
    Last edited by wallijonn; November 30th, 2004 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Hoary spelling corrected. :D

Beans

its not hoardy, its hoary.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast