Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to Fedora Core 3 for a while...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Going to Fedora Core 3 for a while...

I am sad to say that on my primary desktop, I am wiping all the partitions and switching to Fedora Core 3...

The main reason lies in SELinux support, but lots of tiny things prompted the move, too.

Last week, I took advantage of Best Buy sales to upgrade my 1GHz server box with extra RAM and a huge hard drive, and loaded XP onto it to play with embedded motor control. I placed a D-Link Wifi-G router in its place (also cheap sale). As a result, the apache/php testbed that I was running on my server now has to run on my desktop.

I feel pretty paranoid with running public services without good lockdown. I experimented heavily with SELinux around July 2004, and found it quite effective at placing barriers and preventing major damage with PHP exec() compromises.

As a result, my desktop has migrated to FC3 for now. Perhaps I'll switch back to Ubuntu tomorrow if I can't survive in FC3!

Needless to say, I'm still gonna help people out here just like before -- after all, I still have 3 workstations @ school that are going to remain Ubuntu indefinitely.

--John Dong
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Re: Going to Fedora Core 3 for a while...

interesting. let us know what you think if you decide to not switch back. i would be interested in speed/stability/package management, etc.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok, just finished initial install. I definitely like the Fedora Bluecurve look-and-feel. In addition, I see that RedHat patched slick GNOME fileselectors into firefox. Slick!

I'm noticing disk IO slowdowns under high loads... I suspect this is a problem with the default kernel. I'm compiling a new kernel -- 2.6.9 vanilla + ACPI + swsusp2 + selected CK patches (mostly mapped watermark/swappiness patches).

Currently yum updating... I chose KDE: without Ubuntu, I'm still heavily KDE at heart.

Will be back with more extensive tests later.
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    I am sad to say that on my primary desktop, I am wiping all the partitions and switching to Fedora Core 3...

The main reason lies in SELinux support, but lots of tiny things prompted the move, too.

Last week, I took advantage of Best Buy sales to upgrade my 1GHz server box with extra RAM and a huge hard drive, and loaded XP onto it to play with embedded motor control. I placed a D-Link Wifi-G router in its place (also cheap sale). As a result, the apache/php testbed that I was running on my server now has to run on my desktop.

I feel pretty paranoid with running public services without good lockdown. I experimented heavily with SELinux around July 2004, and found it quite effective at placing barriers and preventing major damage with PHP exec() compromises.

As a result, my desktop has migrated to FC3 for now. Perhaps I'll switch back to Ubuntu tomorrow if I can't survive in FC3!

Needless to say, I'm still gonna help people out here just like before -- after all, I still have 3 workstations @ school that are going to remain Ubuntu indefinitely.

--John Dong
    Thats cool. I went the other way. After you open synaptic and see 14000 packages, no less will do!

Beans

jdong

Thanks for all the good support you have given to the Ubuntu community. I really hope you will come back soon!
    Hmm Ubuntu!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by knappen
    jdong

Thanks for all the good support you have given to the Ubuntu community. I really hope you will come back soon!
    i dont think he is leaving..... just changing his desktop OS.i
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans

Perfect!
    Hmm Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by knappen
    jdong

Come on you guys! I still have Ubuntu installed on over half my computers! Just my main computer, I'd like to give Fedora Core a full blown jdong test before I bash it again... I like to be an informed basher

On the continuation of my previous post, I got the new kernel all working... SELinux is screaming at me for no reason -- time to start tweaking!

Speed-wise, Fedora Core feels horribly slower than any other distro... Especially under high CPU loads -- even with a preemptible -ck kernel, FC is just simply lagging when I compile stuff.

Bottom line: I'm switching back now. Screw this. Redhat is using all of us as testing subjects with Fedora...

Starting to download Hoary images....

Beans

If I say welcome back, someone will say that jdong never left

Anyway, switching back was a good choice.
    Hmm Ubuntu!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdong

Starting to download Hoary images....
    lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast