Thread: World of Warcraft: slow loading

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

World of Warcraft: slow loading

I just built a new rig and I have installed Ubuntu 7.10, running Compiz, and everything works great. I also have World of Warcraft running under Wine 0.9.52, and runs nice, but when I try to join Alterac Valley, a battleground with 80 players, it slows on load, then freezes. I have to "force Quit" to exit and restart. It also slows on Eye of Storm, a 30 player battleground, freezes for 1-2 minutes, then loads. The other 2 battlegrounds are slow on load, but no long freeze time. So, Alterac Valley is the only one I can't play.

System Specs:
    mb: MSI K9NBPM2-FID
    AMD X2 5200 2.6GHz
    EVGA 8600 GT 256mb
    4g RAM: G.Skill DDR2 800
    Seagate 250g SATA 3.0

I run one Screenlet, system runs at 22% memory in use by programs, so I am clearly not using my RAM at full. Is it the graphics card? What settings should I change to be able to run WOW with no freezing? Is this a Wine issue? Need help.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: World of Warcraft: slow loading

Your specs are really good, the only thing I can think of is that addons could be slowing it down, or that it needs to load alot, so maybe try lowering the video settings significantly, and posting back the results? Also try with no addons?
    Always remember the Thank You Button, and to mark threads as [SOLVED] when they are solved!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: World of Warcraft: slow loading

Ok. Finally got an error message:

The application has encountered a critical error
    Not enough memory
    Program: ....wow.exe
    File .\src\lmempool.cpp
    Line 311
    Requested 640 bytes of memory

I did install the latest nVidia driver 169.07 and everything works great, just doesn't correct this problem.