Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FLAC Downloads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

FLAC Downloads

Is there ANY website where I can buy FLACs?
    I know amazon sells DRM-free MP3s but if i'm gonna buy music I want it as high quality as possible.

Beans

Re: FLAC Downloads

CDs && rip

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

FLAC downloads would be nice, but the size of the files presents a problem. A CD in mp3 or ogg is at the most 50mb. I am looking through my collection of FLAC music, and one 3 minute song is about 20mb, and a CD is about 300-500mb. Most people don't have the bandwidth to download FLAC files quickly. Once people get faster connections there could be .flac files along side Mp3's
    Last edited by Pethegreat; December 30th, 2007 at 12:59 AM. Reason: browser restart
    Desktop:ECS nForce4M -A, AMD x2 +4800, 2gb DDR2 800, BFG 8500gt, WD 320gb, M-audio Audiophile 192 Ubuntu 7.10
    Laptop:System 76 Pangolin Value Intel T5250 1.5ghz 1gb DDR2 667, 60gb HD, 8600gt 256mb Ubuntu 8.04

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Pethegreat View Post
    FLAC downloads would be nice, but the size of the files presents a problem. A CD in mp3 or ogg is at the most 50mb. I am looking through my collection of FLAC music, and one 3 minute song is about 20mb, and a CD is about 300-500mb.
    the last time I checked, a CD had 700MB of space

Beans
    Hidden!

Saul Williams released his latest album in FLAC. You can find more about it --> here..

It's a great album for 5 bucks, in great quality. Not the usual iTunes rip-offs.

Saul and Trent Reznor (who produced the album) followed on Radiohead's footsteps, but went a little further by releasing the album in the best possible quality.

If you don't want to pay, you can have the files for free @ 192 kbps mp3. For 5 dollars you get a FLAC download, a 320 kbps mp3 (CBR) download and the 192 kbps as well.
    N800 in my pocket, Acer 1410 in my backpack, Thinkpad X31 on a shrine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    the last time I checked, a CD had 700MB of space
    I should have put a CD Ripped into Mp3 takes up 50 mb. Mp3 CD's hold hundreds of songs in just 700mb of space.

I don't see the point of downloading music. I gladly pay for CD's. I know that I have an original copy for backup, and I can get a few bucks if I go to sell the CD.
    Desktop:ECS nForce4M -A, AMD x2 +4800, 2gb DDR2 800, BFG 8500gt, WD 320gb, M-audio Audiophile 192 Ubuntu 7.10
    Laptop:System 76 Pangolin Value Intel T5250 1.5ghz 1gb DDR2 667, 60gb HD, 8600gt 256mb Ubuntu 8.04

Beans

I expect you'll find a lot of music in FLAC via torrent, but most of this will be copyrighted. It seems that the only music that is free to download and distribute is in ogg or mp3.

Beans

I don't know of anyone that sells FLAC files. I would just buy the CDs and rip them yourself. The size is huge which is why most people don't bother with them. I myself don't bother with it. I just get the highest quality mp3 rip I can find. Rumor is that the human ear can't tell the difference between anything higher than 320, and very little difference above 190. I guess if you trained yourself to look for certain elements like some audiophiles and engineers do, but then where's the joy in that? But of course that's only my opinion.

Beans

Torrents are really the only way to go. Companies won't sell FLAC because that is a ton more bandwidth.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by tomauty View Post
    Torrents are really the only way to go. Companies won't sell FLAC because that is a ton more bandwidth.
    Even those are hard to find.
    すべてと、そして、すべてへのリナックスは自由を鳴らせました。
    Linux to all, and to all, let freedom ring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast