Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guest additions for virtualbox using windows 98

Beans

Re: Guest additions for virtualbox using windows 98

Hi there, i'm trying to find the "Display Doctor 7 beta" but with no success.
    Can anyone upload the software (as its freeware now) or post a download link here?
    I tested the "SciTech Display Doctor 6.53" from http://www.scitechsoft.com/ftp/sdd/ but with NO success. It doesn't find a DisplayDriver for the VirtualBox Graphics Card!

Please Help!

greets,
    loeppel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by loeppel View Post
    Hi there, i'm trying to find the "Display Doctor 7 beta" but with no success.
    If you go to virtualbox's web site and poke around, you find this:

http://virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ

At the bottom of the page is this paragraph:

Code:
    Poor graphical output in Windows 98

* Unlike more modern systems, Windows 98 does not come with a driver which will work with the VirtualBox graphics card, so it falls back to using it as a 16 color VGA card. While innotek do not provide Guest Additions for Windows 98, the Display Doctor suite by the company SciTech does contain a driver which will allow you to use higher color and resolution graphics modes. Please note that neither innotek nor SciTech support nor accept liability for the use of this program. 

You can download the installation program for Display Doctor here and the activation codes here.
    Of course, that link is for 6.53...

And the other links gives you registration codes for it.

I forget what version I downloaded...I think I found 7.3.4.000 somewhere.. just by searching in google. It's 10MB's. If you're absolutely stuck I'm sure I could get you a web url to download it with...
    No longer using Ubuntu or MythBuntu but still highly recommend both!

Beans
    Hidden!

About SciTech Display Drivers:

Beta Version is here:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download382.html

regcodes and everything from oem is here:
    ftp://ftp.scitechsoft.com/sdd/

These tricks also work for Windows 95.
    Last edited by jon_herr; February 19th, 2008 at 05:56 AM. Reason: added clarification, and mentioned windows 95

Beans

what's the trick here?

I can't get the reg codes mentioned from the previous post to work with the 7 beta download (link in the previous post). Anyone else get them to work? I tried the "windows and dos" codes for version 6.53 and version 5.3a, neither worked with the version 7 beta, as was mentioned on the first page of this thread.

so I downloaded version 6.53, and it won't recognize the virtual box graphics adapter. I'm using a win98 SE guest OS on linux

Code:
    SciTech UNIVBE 6.7
    Supports DOS.
    No Code Required

SciTech Display Doctor 6.53
    Supports: Windows and DOS.
    Free Version Code
    Reg Code: 	00000-173D626E-02002
    Full Name: 	6.x Free Edition

SciTech Display Doctor 6.53-d
    DOS ONLY
    Free Version Code
    Reg Code: 	00000-173D626E-02002
    Full Name: 	6.x Free Edition

SciTech Display Doctor 5.3a
    Supports: Windows and DOS.
    Free Version Code
    Reg Code: 	00000-816EAD30-20020
    Full Name: 	5.x Free Edition

SciTech Display Doctor 5.3a-d
    DOS ONLY
    Free Version Code
    Reg Code: 	00000-816EAD30-20020
    Full Name: 	5.x Free Edition
    --
    Regards,
    aBitLater

Beans

Hmm, Virtualbox is based on Qemu and it mainly supports WinXP. So using other versions of Windows is bound to be somewhat traumatic.

Beans

my vb guest os win98se runs really slow. It's usable, but barely. I've considered removing the scitech display doctor, assuming that may be part of the cause for the slow-down.
    Last edited by aBitLater; February 27th, 2008 at 03:33 AM. Reason: huh? info in post applied to a different thread -
    --
    Regards,
    aBitLater

Beans

Well, Windows 98 is some real sh*t which uses MS-DOS for most common things. That MS-DOS layer is emulated with the 16bit virtual mode manager in x86, but, as one process cannot be both run 32bit AND under 16bit VMM, all 16-bit code must be emulated which causes the system to go really slow. The system was faster when i installed unofficial service pack v2.1a.

If you look for a not too slow system, think about Win95 OSR2 (it is actually faster than Win98SE on my system). Think also disabling ACPI, IO-APIC or any high-tech thing that Win98 have hard time to support.

Finally, make sure you install 32-bit drivers. 16bit drivers in Windows 98 are common but painfully slow.

Beans

Question Re: Guest additions for virtualbox using windows 98

Quote Originally Posted by Eck View Post
    Heh heh, I even got software 3D working by turning on SciTech Display Doctor's GLDirect thing in compatibility (CAD) mode. It was fun doing the samples and seeing glxgears, airplanes flying, etc, on Windows 98SE. It was slow, but familiar as my first computer was a SiS5598 machine with onboard 4MB software Direct3D and was about this same speed.

You know those sites that Windows users are forced to use all the time to get stuff to "generate" "unlocking" things for old software no longer sold, and even new software for poor folks? That's where you need to search for the SciTech Display Doctor 7 beta thingy to use it more than 21 days. Hint: Personal (type in your name), 1 (weird question, but I typed 1 and it continued), Pro. If you get it you'll understand. Mine had no nasties embedded, but be careful out there! Only works on your Windows guest. He he, I tried it with Wine but had to end the process as it couldn't open the dosbox display to use it.

I did the whole Unofficial Auto-Patcher for Windows 98SE. 98SE2ME, and 98MP10 installations and have a fully updated and ready to have fun with Windows 98SE. For some reason my Windows 98 Startup floppy couldn't load the cdrom drivers and it froze there, but I substituted an OEM 98 Gold cdrom I had and installed from that fine. Then I used my 98SE Updates Cd (that $20 thing that upgrades 98 Gold to 98SE from a booted up GUI only), and upgraded to Second Edition.

I used SciTech for the 1024x768 res, software 3D, and used Realtek's latest Windows 95 VXD driver download extracted with WinRAR and Device Manager updated the Audio Controller to it. Realtek's setup exe doesn't continue on anything but Windows 95 but extracting it gives you the whole thing to direct Device Manager to. You even get SoundBlaster MS-DOS within Windows sound drivers and a Wavetable midi driver (though midi skips).

I haven't installed Rain20 yet that the Virtualbox user faq recommends to handle processor load, but I'll try that soon. Maybe it'll help speed it up a bit.

I'll print out that VGA information posted here. Maybe that would help too, but since I already use the SciTech driver I probably already have that fixed through just using their driver. Not sure though. It works so I don't want to fiddle too much with the configuration.
    Which one did you use? I am struggling to get sound on Windows 98 in VirtualBox!

Beans

You know, I honestly didn't want to use Microsoft's VirtualPC 2007 to run Windows 98, but I was forced to. I tried it in VirtualBox, but I couldn't get the Display Doctor 7 driver to work, nor the VESA drivers they listed on that Geocities page. The VM would just hang on startup, and never go into Windows. To make matters worse the CPU load was always fairly high, even with RAIN 2.0.

It works great with VirtualPC though, as one would expect. It works about the same as Ubuntu or Debian work under VirtualBox with a Windows host OS - Great! All the drivers work right out of the box, and there are guest tools as well.

I would be interested to see if it is possible to run VirtualPC on Wine... Has anyone tried this???

I was trying to set up a MyEnTunnel solution, because AutoSSh wasn't accomplishing my goals (remote ports stay open?):
    http://freshme.at/index.php?page=art...-Windows-98-VM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Came across this thread when looking for a way to get >16 colours on guest Windows95 in VirtualBox under Ubuntu Hardy.

Is Display Doctor still the recommendation for this?

SVGA resolution 800x600 without Display Doctor

I have managed to get SVGA 800x600 rather than 600x480 which was all the VM originally offered. When searching the net for a solution I came across http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/312/312726.html (as at 14 May 2009) which gave me the vital clue, although I was not able to follow the instructions to the letter in the VM.

The essence is to run (in DOS mode on the guest)

Extract Win95_04.cab xx\framebuf.drv /L c:\windows\system

where xx points to where the cab file is (perhaps on the Windows95 installation CD).

This then opens up SVGA as an option in the Control Panel to allow 800x600.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12