Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Didint really realise spyware was so bad on windows!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Didint really realise spyware was so bad on windows!

I just reinstalled XP yesterday (Just on a partition, I still have ubuntu. My mp3 player needs xp.) and didnt do anything. I logged on to it today at 3:09 and by 3:18 it was loaded up with spyware. I wasnt trying to get spyware ether, I was trying not to e.e

So, my question is, when you used (or still do) windows was spyware a big problem for you? DId that make you consider linux?

Funny how spyware wasnt a big problem for me in windows ME (Spyware only made it unuseable twice, I had to format it) awhile back but on XP It is...

GParted all my problems away
    Last edited by xequence; September 13th, 2005 at 08:41 PM.

Beans

Re: Didint really realise spyware was so bad on windows!

I chucked Windows before spyware became a problem -- back in 1999.
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by xequence
    So, my question is, when you used (or still do) windows was spyware a big problem for you? DId that make you consider linux?
    The first time I got slammed with spyware was in XP June of last year, and it did make me want to try Linux. I tried Blag, and I got frustrated (Blag has improved a ton since then) because I didn't know how to use RPMs and meet dependencies. So I gave up. I discovered Firefox, and after that (and adjusting my security settings in Internet Explorer), spyware hasn't infected my XP system again.

I didn't start using Linux again until April of this year, and that was just because I hated Windowblinds' nagware, and I really wanted to customize my desktop.

Funny how spyware wasnt a big problem for me in windows ME (Spyware only made it unuseable twice, I had to format it) awhile back but on XP It is...
    I think spyware's a relatively recent phenomenon. I hadn't even heard of spyware before 2004.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I chucked Windows before spyware became a problem -- back in 1999.
    Lucky you What was linux like way back when? (I know its not exactly along time ago, but there is very little info about linux between 1996 and 2002 that I can find o.o)

I think spyware's a relatively recent phenomenon. I hadn't even heard of spyware before 2004
    I used only windows ME until a month ago, installed ubuntu, then dual booted with ME and ubuntu until two weeks ago when I got XP and installed that with ubuntu.
    Last edited by xequence; September 13th, 2005 at 08:53 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xequence
    Never was a big problem for me (I hate the viruses worse), but its definately a reason I'm considering Linux for my family.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Mmmm.... Spyware..

Whenever my mom goes to www.msn.com in IE, she gets redirected to some ad page... LOL

majikstreet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Spyware was a primary impetus in my switch...kind of. I hadn't had a great deal of trouble with it, but mainly that was because I was always vigilant, running multiple spyware detectors a couple of times a week along with my regular virus scans and windows updates and firewall checks and the list went on and on. I decided I wanted to use my computer for something other than maintaining my computer.

EDIT: forgot to include the need for defragmenting

Now I use the time I spent with all that stuff hanging out in these forums, on the wiki, all over the web and reading books to educate myself on using Linux and share what I learn with others.

I thought it was a good trade.
    Last edited by matthew; September 14th, 2005 at 11:13 PM. Reason: addition
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

Meh, I'm on (and have been on) Windows for the past many weeks after Hoary failed on me, and I haven't been struck by a single virus or piece of spyware yet.

Of course, for those who don't have the proper protection, you'll definitely be getting it. You just need to run smart on Windows and make sure you've secured yourself.. one thing you don't have to worry about much on Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by Quest-Master
    Meh, I'm on (and have been on) Windows for the past many weeks after Hoary failed on me, and I haven't been struck by a single virus or piece of spyware yet.

Of course, for those who don't have the proper protection, you'll definitely be getting it. You just need to run smart on Windows and make sure you've secured yourself.. one thing you don't have to worry about much on Linux.
    This is why Linux may be the perfect choice for beginners and casual users and why Windows is only good for experienced users. Who'd have thought?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by endy
    This is why Linux may be the perfect choice for beginners and casual users and why Windows is only good for experienced Windows users.
    Fixed.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast