Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Didint really realise spyware was so bad on windows!

Beans

Re: Didint really realise spyware was so bad on windows!

Quote Originally Posted by GoA
    Spyware is only problem for stupid users. Which are most of the people.They coulnd't handle linux either.
    That's pretty much the attitude that keeps some people from Linux And I wonder if everyone who runs Ubuntu could handle something like a Linux From Scratch distro with their l33t hacking skillz

Sometimes, it's not the Windows users that are always stupid, it's how the Operating System is set up that's stupid - setting things like ActiveX and all those services on by default, not too mentioning running scripts form outlook, etcetera.

The end user can't be to blame because he simply wants a tool to work with and he's handed a lemon.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Arrow Re: Didint really realise spyware was so bad on windows!

Havent got any problems with Xp and Adware spam and such
    My biggest problem in Xp was the da... registry which contais thousand of files after uninstall of programs
    The registry in windows is really stupid

I have used Ubuntu for half a year now, and some days ago i had to fix an xp computer which had quit a bit spy/adware on it. It was almost 1000 different files

And i had to look for a while to be able to get an regular good adware remover who dident cost$$$$
    Luckily i found a freeware on Tucows.com

One other day i was wisiting an Windows/Gaming friend and he was going to show me a great game.
    The problem was that his machine was so full of ...... that nothing work. He was barely able to surf and then he got tons of adware on his screen . I had never seen such a crippled machine before

Beans

Heck, you want to hear a bad one? My mother uses Internet Explorer because it looks better than Firefox (do NOT ask me how). Problem is, she gets popups, of course. Those things that say that "Your SystemMay Be Infected" and the OK button...and SHE CLICKS OK!!!

I then deleted every link to Internet Explorer that could be found. And told her that if she clicks on popups ever again, I'd make her learn Linux. THAT scares her...she uses MSN Money
    Bryan Pizzuti
    MySpace Blog

----------------------------------------------------------
    The hardest freedom to acknowledge is the other guy's freedom to disagree with you

Beans

Once I got like 20 different kinds of viruses from a single popup (I did not click on it, just just poped up, and then the viruses where in). I sure did not expect Internet Explorer to have some kind of feature that made it possible for a HTML page to install and run programs on my computer. The only damage it did was making me spend the afternoon cleaning up the mess.

After that I became paranoid about security settings, firewall, traffic logs, anti adware, anti virus and such. My email address is even in latin so spambots can't spell it right, I get only about 2 or 3 spam mails per year. Had only minor problems with tracking cookies, javascript viruses and other harmless stuff after that, it really helps to be paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Galoot
    I never got spam, either. Well, not until this spring when my son in college sent me a form letter through bebo.com that read:

...to which I replied:

Once that stupid site got my address via my son, the spam started. Funny how that works, eh?*
    It is just as easy to fake an email as it is to fake a good old snailmail. But with email you can make a program do the faking automatically. Never ever reply to or click any links in an email that seems out of character for the person/corporation the mail claims to be from. Ask over phone or a chat program if he/she/them really sent that mail.
    Last edited by Kvark; September 14th, 2005 at 10:53 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xequence
    So, my question is, when you used (or still do) windows was spyware a big problem for you? DId that make you consider linux?

To answer your question, yes spyware is a very big problem in the Windows world, and yes, it certainly played a part in my decision to switch to Linux completely.
    I did one of my internships for a company that administrated over 500 primary schools... I was the one who had to jump on a bicycle and ride it across the city every time a PC in a primary school contracted spyware and showed naked women to the little kids... And this happened lots of times. Lots of lots of times.
    So you might see why I'm not particularly fond of it
    "Windows is something to overcome"

Howto's by me:
    Tweak firefox! (URL now works..)
    Backup/Restore your system!
    Avoid having to reboot

Compentux.org
    , the Linux Tip & Howto gathering initiative!

Beans

I just wanted to interject with something here.. I'm not knocking or promoting any operating environment either. Just because you don't have Bonzai Buddy swinging across your desktop, or big flashing lights and sirens coming from your system tray, this does not indicate that you have no spyware on your system.

The famous and quickly detectable spywares are the ones written to be obnoxious or visually attractive to the user. These offer great new features or trickery to make you install them. This type of malware is well known, and visible. It's also recognized by Adaware and such because of this. It's the malware that was written to not be obnoxious or noticable that is the issue. The one-off malwares or silent malwares that aren't detected, so aren't reported. It's fairly trivial (less so with SP2, mind you) to write malware that is quiet, yet serves a purpose like a keylogger.

It is quite possible that you do not have any malware on your machine. If someone were to ask me to bet money on it though, I'd confidently bet on the fact that there are several programs installed on there that you did not explicitly ask for. Calling these programs "malware" really depends on the intent of these programs and your definition of the term. What is troubling to me, is that the activities performed by this software that you didn't ask for, and that runs continuously on your machine in some cases, is completely up to the discression of its author, and not you. The author of this software may be a nice guy, and therefore it might only log your web activity in terms of what sites you visit for marketing data. But maybe he's a prick, and also logs your passwords. Regardless of what it's doing, rest assured that it is there and serving a purpose to someone other than you, regardless of how benign that purpose may be.

Cheers,
    ~djc
    It's not the security of your machine that worries me. My problem is when you waste my bandwidth because your compromised machine is used to hammer mine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by npaladin2000
    Heck, you want to hear a bad one? My mother uses Internet Explorer because it looks better than Firefox (do NOT ask me how). Problem is, she gets popups, of course. Those things that say that "Your SystemMay Be Infected" and the OK button...and SHE CLICKS OK!!!

I then deleted every link to Internet Explorer that could be found. And told her that if she clicks on popups ever again, I'd make her learn Linux. THAT scares her...she uses MSN Money
    I seem to recall someone around here skinning firefox to look exactly like IE for his father, who preferred the "look and feel." The experiment seemed to be a total success.

Beans

since i havnt been using windows much lately. i havnt had to do the spyware scans, the AV scans the firewall dance, etc etc.. i've been going to bed sooner and getting up earlier.. hehe linux is also good for your health too

cheers
    john.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Galoot
    (* I wrote him out of my will a week later.)
    I hope you're kidding. Email return addresses can be faked quite easily, you know. Or, some kinds of malware hijack your address book and send emails out from your account.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GoA
    Spyware is only problem for stupid users. Which are most of the people.They coulnd't handle linux either.
    Just because someone does not know enough about computers to hide from spyware does not make them stupid.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast