Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XP on ubuntu

Beans

Question XP on ubuntu

hello
    i want to try xp in ubuntu instead of dualbooting.
    i have some questions:
    1.I saw that there are many virualization programs,what is the best?
    2.what i'll able to do with the xp(play?,adobe cs3?,ather programs?).
    3.i need to install windows on ubuntu?there will be a folder in my ubuntu that will emulate partition?
    4.i'll need to install drivers?
    Thank you and sorry for the bad english

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: XP on ubuntu

I'm running XP Pro in Ubuntu 7.10 using VMware Server. You can install it through the synaptic package manager, just make sure you have 3rd party programs enabled. The install is pretty brainless. I've never used Virtual Box. Install it to anwer many of your questions. I run XP because of a couple of business programs I need (work out of my house).
    DΞLL Precision M6500 "Big Dog": i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300
    .debBlog (cheat sheets)
    IRS Problems?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

1 - I've used vmware-server and virtualbox-ose. Each has its own strengths. I would not say that either is better. Try one and see.

2 - You will not get 3D graphics acceleration - so forget about playing any graphics-intensive games. Otherwise you should be able to run anything, providing you allocate enough resources to the virtual machine

3 - The virtualisation program will create a 'virtual disk image' for you, in a location of your choosing.

4 - The host will emulate a basic PC. Both virtualbox and vmware offer guest OS tools for windows. These are drivers that will improve on the basic PC setup, especially for screen resolution and mouse behaviour. Networking should be straightforward.

You will notice a reduction in speed while running inside a virtual machine, and it will impact on the host as well - you will be giving memory and cpu time to the guest operating system.

Your english is better than may native speakers - you don't need to apologise.

Beans

VMware seems to take less processor time with XP than does VB. At least on my machine.

Beans

Thank you for answers
    when u telling reduction in speed u mean just in the virtual OS? or my ubuntu will be slower too?
    My xp will be in virtual disk so it will not taking disk space?and what about programs?
    And what about internet? would i connect to the internet?
    Thanks again

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Yes, the VM can slow down both your ubuntu (host) as well as the windows (guest). The PC resources are being shared between two different operating systems, so this is inevitable. If you have a fast machine, it might not be noticeable, but it is for me.

The virtual disk will certainly take up disk space. You will have to decide how much space to allocate when you create the virtual machine. But it will be a single file, or a group of files, on a directory in an actual partition, not an actual partition itself. That is the meaning of 'virtual' in this context.

Both vmware and virtualbox handle network and internet connections for you - providing that your host (ubuntu) machine has internet already. So yes, you will have internet access from within the virtual machine. You will have some options for how networking is done, you may need to know something about your current internet connection to get this right.

Just in case you haven't already thought of this, you need to also consider the licence needed to run Windows. Windows has various ways of ensuring that you have a 'legitimate copy' of the operating system, meaning that you hold a valid licence. Since a single licence can usually only be used on a single machine, and a virtual machine is not considered to be the same as the host, this may mean that you need two different licences for both the virtual machine, and the actual machine, if you want to retain the option of dual-booting. This might be a problem if you use your licence code from your existing windows install. The install on the hard drive might complain next time you boot it and download any updates.

There are various ways around this problem, but I don't know if any are legal. You might want to read the terms of your microsoft licence. If you can afford a second windows licence then this does not matter.

Beans

the virtual disk will take the real disk space? i mean if my xp is 10GB so the virtual disk will take 10GB?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ronb94 View Post
    the virtual disk will take the real disk space? i mean if my xp is 10GB so the virtual disk will take 10GB?
    Yes. With VMware Server, I just set the max to allow for the diskspace, but don't preallocated so it grows as I install programs. I don't notice performance degradation myself, laptop specs in sig.
    DΞLL Precision M6500 "Big Dog": i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300
    .debBlog (cheat sheets)
    IRS Problems?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by bernied View Post
    3 - The virtualisation program will create a 'virtual disk image' for you, in a location of your choosing.
    You will notice a reduction in speed while running inside a virtual machine, and it will impact on the host as well - you will be giving memory and cpu time to the guest operating system.
    I have just set up vmware server and installed my XP Home system inside of it, here are some tips from my experience (that may already be known generally):

1. Set up a separate partition for your Vmware images - I set up a ReiserFS partition after I found that the FAT32 that I originally used was so slow - the new one is much (much) faster when vmware uses it!
    2. You can download a free (Windows) utility from the vmware site to fully import your existing Windows system into a vm - all your setup and installed programs will be there!
    3. Find (on the 'net) instructions on how to optimise Windows for a vm environment - this can help with performance.

All in all I now have access to XP inside my Ubuntu system far more conveniently than with dual boot, and it performs well enough for my purposes.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    I have just set up vmware server and installed my XP Home system inside of it, here are some tips from my experience (that may already be known generally):

1. Set up a separate partition for your Vmware images - I set up a ReiserFS partition after I found that the FAT32 that I originally used was so slow - the new one is much (much) faster when vmware uses it!
    2. You can download a free (Windows) utility from the vmware site to fully import your existing Windows system into a vm - all your setup and installed programs will be there!
    3. Find (on the 'net) instructions on how to optimise Windows for a vm environment - this can help with performance.

All in all I now have access to XP inside my Ubuntu system far more conveniently than with dual boot, and it performs well enough for my purposes.
    VMware Server is slick. Thanks for the tips...didn't know about that windows utility. I've never used VirtualBox.
    .debBlog (cheat sheets)
    IRS Problems?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast