Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox has only 16% browser market? That's all?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Firefox has only 16% browser market? That's all?

I saw this article today about death of Netscape. But it blew me away with this:

"Firefox has actually done pretty well against Microsoft Internet Explorer, the jack-booted thug that beat the original Netscape into a bloody pulp with its monopolistic truncheon. According to TechCrunch, Firefox has a 16.01% share of the Web browser market, compared to IE’s 77.35%. Netscape has a measly 0.6%."
    I thought something like a quarter or a third of people used FF. Jeez, less than 2 out of 10 people are aware of FF? They must be unaware of it because otherwise they'd have switched. It's a no brainer. IE-any-version is pure crap; FF beats it hands-down. FF is far from perfect--in fact it's already a bloated whale of a browser--but it makes up for its faults with add-ons for just about everything.

After the much-ballyhooed grassroots effort to 'spread firefox', 16% is all? With results like that, I'd hate to know the figures for Open Office usage.

Reading this makes me despair of ever living to see linux become a significant--let alone dominant--presence in the desktop environment. People are incredibly stupid and myopic. It's not all down to MS's monopolistic tactics. Most people wouldn't know a better browser if it hit them in the face. So what hope is there for an alternative OS?

Beans

Re: Firefox has only 16% browser market? That's all?

yeah, it's kind of shocking, isn't it? I would have put FF's market share much higher than that. I've been using it for what feels like forever. Microsoft even....ahem....borrowed (stole!) their idea of browser tabs for IE.

I guess we have to face the facts that most computer user's knuckles are dragging along the ground and they are making "ooooh oooooh oooooh" noises (roughly translated as...Microsoft Rule). It doesn't bode well for human evolution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It depends where you look. This article (in Dutch) says that in Europe, more than one out of four users use Firefox, although it's only 14.9% in the Netherlands. According to the article, in Slovenia and Finland 50% uses Firefox. These figures are from July 2007.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

I think the world firefox usage is about 33%. What kind of stats are those? From 2005?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jespdj View Post
    It depends where you look. This article (in Dutch) says that in Europe, more than one out of four users use Firefox, although it's only 14.9% in the Netherlands. According to the article, in Slovenia and Finland 50% uses Firefox. These figures are from July 2007.
    Yeah, was just going to mention this. Usage depends enormously on the region. Europe seems pretty large. I know for a fact Firefox usage in South Korea is pathetically low due to their reliance on ActiveX.

It's the same reason why I don't see Windows being upended by Linux anytime soon. Marketing is more powerful than technical merit.

Beans
    Hidden!

It's not surprising at all. It just goes to show that MOST people use whatever is default and don't even look for alternatives unless they are extremely unhappy with the default. It's why when people say that linux is going to take over because people like open source, I always laugh my head off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

So, how is this Firefox Promotion going on? What do they encourage you to do?

*note: I'm looking for the page about it right now.
    Canned Reviews, energy drink reviews; a group effort: Canned Reviews
    Keep track of drink reviews: BOOM!
    Befriend us on Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/cannedreviews

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by BreathEasy View Post
    It's the same reason why I don't see Windows being upended by Linux anytime soon. Marketing is more powerful than technical merit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    It's not surprising at all. It just goes to show that MOST people use whatever is default and don't even look for alternatives unless they are extremely unhappy with the default.
    The MS marketing machine has made it such that enough people (home users) believe Internet Explorer is the internet. Why would you look for an alternative browser when you don't know what a browser is?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast