Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Examples of a great GUI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Examples of a great GUI

Instead of arguing about CLI vs. GUI, let's talk about examples of great GUIs.

I think a decent GUI allows you to do basic tasks with one or two intuitive gestures or clicks. Moving a file to the desktop with a click and drag, for example. A great GUI, on the other hand, allows you to access, say, 90% of a program's features and options in the same way: intuitively and with a few gestures or clicks. Obviously, this will be easier with more simple programs.

I think Firefox is an example of a good GUI (though not great). Nearly everything is fairly easy to access, use, and customize. I think a browser is a bad example, however, since so much of what it does depends on the sites you visit, not the browser itself.

I think Photoshop is an example of a good GUI on a very complex piece of software.

Still, I am not sure I can come up with an example of a great GUI. Nothing on my system seems to qualify, anyway.

What programs would you say showcase the best GUIs?
    Last edited by 50words; December 29th, 2007 at 12:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Examples of a great GUI

I think opera has a very good gui. Everything is available and if you learn the mouse gestures you can get most things done really fast and easy.
    Against TCPA | Hell, it's about time! | FORZA FERRARI
    Almost Sober tour 2008

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

I would say thunar has a good GUI. Maybe not a great GUI. But definately easy to use and simple enough

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'd say that a couple of my favorites are amaroK and Krusader, both of which are incredibly powerful and versatile, but there's a learning curve with both.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Now that I think of it, iTunes has a pretty intuitive and easy-to-use GUI. There are some things--the purpose of the checkboxes next to a song is completely unclear to me--but overall very easy to use.

Rhythmbox is similarly friendly, I think.

Beans

I like gnome-screenshot gui... lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    I would say thunar has a good GUI. Maybe not a great GUI. But definately easy to use and simple enough
    +1 for that, i think most GUIs in XFCE are very nice to use

nvidia-settings is 'great' cos its useful but features wise i'd probably just class it as good

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

A great Gui is one that has all the features of the Cl interface.

I took me for ever to find one for mplayer, but smplayer has all but one feature (ascii video) and that feature I haven't ever used since it is kind of pointless.
    すべてと、そして、すべてへのリナックスは自由を鳴らせました。
    Linux to all, and to all, let freedom ring.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I think Epiphany's URL bar is an example of a great GUI. I searches your history, bookmarks and allows you to do searches. After using Epiphany, Firefox's separate search bar seems unnecessary.

I'm not saying all of Epiphany's GUI is great, just this unique part of it (though it will be less unique once Firefox 3 is out, I guess).

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarath View Post
    +1 for that, i think most GUIs in XFCE are very nice to use

nvidia-settings is 'great' cos its useful but features wise i'd probably just class it as good
    well I don't even use XFCE actually

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast