Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newly bought computers and Windows restore CDs.

Beans

Newly bought computers and Windows restore CDs.

Are they still packaging newly bought computers with restore CDs? Or are they doing the partition thing?

Reason I ask is I just realized that my new Toshiba laptop came with restore CDs. I completely forgot that for a while they were doing the partitioned hard drive recovery bullshat. Are they still doing that or did they sway back over to CDs?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Newly bought computers and Windows restore CDs.

HP does not provide recovery disks but the partition thingy.
    Desktop: Intel Core2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz, 2GB DDR3 RAM, nVidia 8800 Ultra, 540GB HDD (Vista Ultimate x64 + Gutsy amd64)
    Laptop: Intel Core2 Duo T7700 2.4GHz, 2GB DDR2 RAM, Intel GMA950, 250GB HDD (Gutsy amd64 -- Gnome+KDE4)

Beans

I got the restore cd/s with my Toshiba laptop - the reason why i went for the laptop over a compaq one

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Re: Newly bought computers and Windows restore CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by darksong View Post
    I got the restore cd/s with my Toshiba laptop - the reason why i went for the laptop over a compaq one
    Yeaahhh. I bought my wife a Compaq a while back and was disturbed to find no CD. They are kind enough to provide one, though, for $37 + S/H... ugh
    Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Beans

Dells seem to come with restore CDs.

Acer laptops restore partions

Lenovo desktops / laptops restore partitions

Just my experience

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by stalker145 View Post
    Yeaahhh. I bought my wife a Compaq a while back and was disturbed to find no CD. They are kind enough to provide one, though, for $37 + S/H... ugh
    ahahaha WHAT?!?!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I flew into NY on vacation for the holidays to see my folks. Their Windows got jacked with viruses (no surprise) - I tried as hard as I could to remove them but they were all in DLL files and 3 different virus removal programs couldnt repair them so I had to remove the DLLs and of course, windows did not function after that. But before I shut down to never-boot-again-land, I was able to access the restore partition on the Gateway computer and it reinstalled Windows (of course with every piece of bundleware under the sun).

So it did save my parent's ***. Of course, last year I also installed Ubuntu on there which they've been using for 6 months since they got the virus and of course that hasn''t given them any problems. But now they've got Gutsy and XP on the machine and I slapped another gig of RAM in there.

Then I reliazed that my parents are RUssian and I could run Ubuntu in Russian so I did that. Then they wanted me to get Windows running in Russian too (they love AOL... god knows why) - but of course, you have to pay Microsoft for a new copy of Windows localized to whatever country (in this case Russia) to get it to run in another language.

So basically, that's how I converted (or, Ubuntu itself converted) them over to Linux. The only time my mom boots into Windows now is to print up some recipes on her Lexmark printer. I hope she gets a Linux compatible printer soon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My HP didn't come with restore CDs, but they are sending some to me free of charge.
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it! Seriously. Don't.
    <(^^,)>

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by stalker145 View Post
    Why do you need one ? A Windows CD is not exactly the hardest thing to find on the Interweb, and you can download the drivers from HP's wobsite...

My Asus laptop came with recovery CDs but I never use them. I just install a plain Win XP and install all the drivers afterwards.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
    Why do you need one ? A Windows CD is not exactly the hardest thing to find on the Interweb, and you can download the drivers from HP's wobsite...

My Asus laptop came with recovery CDs but I never use them. I just
    install a plain Win XP and install all the drivers afterwards.
    Cause the ones you normally download from the internet are either only available in US English or loaded with viruses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast