Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Ubuntu does not include Java as one of the default package in its distribution

Beans

Why Ubuntu does not include Java as one of the default package in its distribution

I'm wondering why Ubuntu and other major Linux distro does not include Java as one of the default package in their distribution. Has Java been opensourced? Does Ubuntu has plan to include Java in its future distribution?

Beans

Re: Why Ubuntu does not include Java as one of the default package in its distributio

Why doesn't Windows?

It is easy to install, kind of large, and isn't free speech so it makes sense it isn't an an operating install disk.
    Last edited by LaRoza; December 28th, 2007 at 10:01 AM.

Beans

Re: Why Ubuntu does not include Java as one of the default package in its distributio

It is easy to install, kind of large, and isn't free beer so it makes sense it isn't an an operating install disk.
    Its not large. Its only like 20mbs, while OpenOffice which made it into the Ubuntu disk is like 150mbs.

And it IS free as in beer, just not free as in speech.

At OP, I believe the main reason is just what I said above this line,

Beans

Probably legal reasons. Ever noticed when installing Java you have to accept a license agreement - if installed manually it's presented in a terminal, if installed using apt-get or Synaptic it's with a GUI where you have to click accept. The EULA is seperate from Ubuntu and hence what Canonical can support.

Beans

they could include the open-source java (ie 'IcedTea') which is in the repo's at the moment..
    i'm sure theres a good reason why its not though.

maybe the dev's didn't think java was essential?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Majorix View Post
    And it IS free as in beer, just not free as in speech.
    That is what I meant, post fixed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DjBones View Post
    maybe the dev's didn't think java was essential?
    It isn't. It is only missed if you are on the internet, in which case, you can download it anyway.

The real missing package complain lies with build-essential, which should be installed by default.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    It isn't. It is only missed if you are on the internet, in which case, you can download it anyway.

The real missing package complain lies with build-essential, which should be installed by default.
    I agree 100% with all of this. Even though my 64-bit Ubuntu doesn't have a proper Sun Java plugin, I don't care cos it's rarely required for anything these days, and build-essential is kinda... essential in a lot more cases.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BreathEasy View Post
    I agree 100% with all of this. Even though my 64-bit Ubuntu doesn't have a proper Sun Java plugin, I don't care cos it's rarely required for anything these days, and build-essential is kinda... essential in a lot more cases.
    It is on the CD, that is very handy, but I can't figure out why it isn't installed.

(You can install it without the net)

Beans

OK, I got it. Since Java is not a proper opensourced project, that's why it never been included by default.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast