Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If so, why isn't everybody using Xubuntu or other light Ubuntu's?

Beans

If so, why isn't everybody using Xubuntu or other light Ubuntu's?

After having terrible slowdowns with the "original" Ubuntu, I switched to Xubuntu on my poor laptop.

The thing is, I have never run into any problems or felt the absence of anything. Everything works.

Most software for Gnome or KDE you can run under Xubuntu too. I, for example, couldn't leave my precious Gedit and am running it under Xubuntu too. Some people might want to install Restricted Drivers Manager too, but since I don't have any relative hardware, I didn't install it.

It is really lightweight. I am using appr. 120-130 MBs of RAM, while this number was around doubled with the "original" Ubuntu.

I also tend to think using less RAM would prolong the life expectancy of your PC... Am I wrong?

All in all, Xubuntu is next to perfect and I will most likely never turn back to the "original" Ubuntu again.

So, please do tell me, if everything is so nice with lighter Ubuntu's, why is everyone using the "original" or the KDE version of Ubuntu?

EDIT: Before you tell it, please let me explain: Its not a matter of choice, when you can do everything you want several times faster and healthier (for the PC and your brain )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wink Re: If so, why isn't everybody using Xubuntu or other light Ubuntu's?

I like Xubuntu fine except for:

browsing & copying files on our house LAN, three Linux and two XP's. Ubuntu has Places, Network and I haven't found out how to do it on Xubuntu.

Ubuntu has screen capture for internet graphics pages. I haven't found out how to do that with Xubuntu,

Other than those, Xubuntu has less overhead and is faster.

Jerry

Beans

Re: If so, why isn't everybody using Xubuntu or other light Ubuntu's?

Quote Originally Posted by Majorix View Post
    I also tend to think using less RAM would prolong the life expectancy of your PC... Am I wrong?

So, please do tell me, if everything is so nice with lighter Ubuntu's, why is everyone using the "original" or the KDE version of Ubuntu?
    No, RAM doesn't work that way. But not using a lot of RAM is always a good thing.

As for why, several reasons:

* KDE and GNOME are the defaults on many distros, and therefore more widely used
    * No compelling reason to change the defaults

Xfce is a great DM, in fact, I made a thread praising it. I recommend it often especially for laptops.

Beans

For screenshots, I use scrot, with the PrtScrn key mapped to the command.

Thunar is a bit lacking in terms of ssh and the like (I am making do with hand-crafted bash scripts so far), but IMO it makes up for this in quite a few areas c.f. Nautilus.

I installed Xubuntu on this laptop I was lent over Christmas just to try it out and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. The snapiness is great and I'm struggling to think what I miss from Gnome. Well, the menu editor is stupid and creating a launcher can be harder too. I had to install things to take screenshots and to lock the screen. Oh, and XFCE puts the trash in a silly place (~/.local/share/Trash).

I think Gnome is a bit more intuitive than XFCE and provides more functionality out of the box for the 'average user'. There is also more support for GnomeBuntu. For these reasons plain old Ubuntu is the one I would install for a friend or relative.

I think Xubuntu needs a few more features to get up to the usability level of Gnome (lack of 'Places' is a showstopper for many I'm sure), but I really hope it doesn't become a victim of feature creep.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I did not recognize any drastic speed up on my machine when I tried xubuntu. Both ubuntu and xubuntu go awesomely fast to me, so maybe that's the problem.

I am not a fan of the ultra light weight apps that aren't that great, If I installed xubuntu I would have to apt-get a lot of apps that would come by default on (K)ubuntu

I tried to try ubuntu the other day as a replacement for Gnome, but the already named apps situation + the fact that I couldn't resize icons (sorry but I love icons of different sizes in my desktop) made me run away. I also don't like that mouse obsession they got.

So, you see, gnome and xcfe are so close that such little things made me choose one over the other, right now I am hoping for KDE4 though.

--
    Perhaps in the future the main ubuntu could use xcfe as the desktop and some gnome apps + firefox and open office by default, to stop the gnome dependency but hey, we are dreaming..
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    I did not recognize any drastic speed up on my machine when I tried xubuntu. Both ubuntu and xubuntu go awesomely fast to me, so maybe that's the problem.
    How large is your RAM? If it's over 2 gigs, you probably won't notice much difference. But not everybody has a that large RAM you know.
    II am not a fan of the ultra light weight apps that aren't that great, If I installed xubuntu I would have to apt-get a lot of apps that would come by default on (K)ubuntu
    I had about 2300-2400 packages on my latest Ubuntu install. I had reached 2000 in 3 days and later I added some more packages. Now, I installed all the packages I used to use on my Ubuntu box on my Xubuntu, and the number of packages is slightly less than 1050. That, I hope, explains a lot.
    II tried to try ubuntu the other day as a replacement for Gnome, but the already named apps situation + the fact that I couldn't resize icons (sorry but I love icons of different sizes in my desktop) made me run away. I also don't like that mouse obsession they got.
    I don't know how you can resize the icons, but that must be possible. And even if not, that shouldn't be a problem I hope? We are adults, right?
    And about the rat, I don't know the background but it's cute.

IPerhaps in the future the main ubuntu could use xcfe as the desktop and some gnome apps + firefox and open office by default, to stop the gnome dependency but hey, we are dreaming..
    Maybe, who knows. But I hope they do, that will make more people have faster-running comps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How large is your RAM? If it's over 2 gigs, you probably won't notice much difference. But not everybody has a that large RAM you know.
    768 MB.

I don't know how you can resize the icons, but that must be possible. And even if not, that shouldn't be a problem I hope? We are adults, right?
    I like big icons for my apps and place them on the top, except for the less important ones in which I use 1/4 of the "big size" for them. I also like different sizes for folders decreasing by importance, besides of looking nice it helps me actually have an organized desktop which to me would bevery hard without doing that. I also mass emblems.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans

My 512mb laptop boots (and becomes usable) at least 2 times faster with Xubuntu than with Ubuntu. There is also a minor improvement on my 1gb desktop. I don't know how you cannot see any difference with your 768mb machine. You should use a stopwatch

Beans

CPU is the factor of speed...if RAM is not fully used then it is not a factor...in the Linux world, or at least for the *buntu's.
    Apps for Ubuntu (outdated) ---> http://cid-23a283fc1010a1bb.skydrive...%20Wine|6?uc=1
    Use Mnemosyne to Study for School!

Beans

The traditional problem with KDE/Gnome is their dreadful window managers. It is actually possible to run them with IceWM or Xfce as window manager, but to me doing so is just way too much effort.

The lastest KDE is actually somewhat better and the new window manager is significantly more responsive

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast