Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High Quality Soundcards? Advice from music lovers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

High Quality Soundcards? Advice from music lovers

Hi
    I have a soundcard (onboard) on my desktop that isnt supported by alsa and just dont work with linux, meh.

So far have had to use either my windows partition (bleh) or my thinkpad (running Ubuntu) to play music ... which is a bit anoying.

so please give me some advice!

i need a high quality sound card that will do my music justice AND work with linux (specificlly Debian/ubuntu).

Any recemendations?

thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: High Quality Soundcards? Advice from music lovers

Just about anything from M-Audio. The Delta-66 series, although if you are interested in mostly playback then the audiophile PCI series soundcard will fit the bill. Stay away from Creative Sound Blaster.

For a cheaper solution, look for some USB sound cards. They plug into the USB port and have a minijack output. You will need to search the forums or a general google search to find some specific linux-capable recommendations.

Used M-audio cards show up on craigslist.org quite often.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Creative X-Fi's are also extermely good and Creative seems to have fairly good linux support: http://opensource.creative.com/soundcard.html
    Last edited by EXCiD3; December 28th, 2007 at 02:32 AM.
    Dialup or no internet on your Ubuntu box? Have no fear, Keryx is here! Keryx Project
    My blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Stay away from the delta 66. I have one and it's just weird. Unless you are doing audio production go with an m-audio revolution. It's also from m-audio like the delta 66 but it's designed with regular users in mind imo.
    Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position - Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i dont get that, i have a creatice sound blast 24bit the normal 30$ at every store one and it works just fine, the only thing you need to do is choose it in the audio options

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think the resistance to Creative sound cards is the lack of cooperation with developers for writing drivers. I'm not sure if Creative has changed their policy or if they have been more open with their specifications.

I agree the Delta 66 can be quirky, but from a sound quality standpoint, it's better than most cards that I have tested, and I have tested a lot. Using the envy24control, you have all the capability that the Windows drivers have. M-audio has been open with their sound card specs for quite a while. As a result, M-audio has gained a lot of respect in the Linux and music communities.

Used M-audio cards are readily available as musicians upgrade their studios to higher-channel, rack-based capture cards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have a the Creative Live! 24bit sound card that cost me 30$ at Wal-Mart and it works fine in Linux. Just make sure that you disable the
    on-board sound card in the BIOS. For some reason Ubuntu kept wanting to use the crappy on-board sound card instead of the better one that I paid for.

Sin Cere,

CCNA
    Visit the Wheatland Linux user's group website at http.//www.wheatlandlinux.wordpress.com
    If you have any tips on how to improve the website please post a comment somewhere on the blog. Ubuntu user 19655 Linux users 461059

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have a Santa Cruz Turtle Beach that I paid $12 for. It sounds awesome. However, all of the linux drivers are reverse engineered and most of the fancy features are missing (like surround sound). But I only use if for music anyway...
    100 buckets of bits on the bus,
    100 buckets of bits,
    Take one down, short it to ground,
    FF buckets of bits on the bus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Re: High Quality Soundcards? Advice from music lovers

I've already endorsed the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 in a previous thread. Instead of repeating myself I provide you with a link to my post.
    Eternally confused.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

You could always check out the Fast Track USB or Fast Track Podcast (M-Audio) - A simple USB sound card

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast