Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Linux Ever Displace Windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Can Linux Ever Displace Windows?

Dear Ubuntufolk:

Can Linux ever displace Windows?

Here's what I found in using Linux:

Under Ubuntu Feisty (Gnome), when I had defined multiple desktops the taskbar crashed occasionally on boot, forcing a reboot. I posted a bug, but gave up when I had to install trace software but didn't understand the scripting conventions.

Installing the driver for a pcmcia card modem required communication with several PhD Linux experts.

I could never install FAX services. This required communication with several PhD experts in Linux but the instructions were over my head--and I'm not dense.

I changed to Kubuntu

First of all, on installing KDE and deinstalling Gnome, the multiple keyboard feature did not work and I had to do a clean Kubuntu install.

Still no FAX.

On Kubuntu, on the KDE desktop, the desktop icons wander on boot unless I use a reduced set and they are placed just so.

On Kubutu Kweather doesn't work.

I have not been able to make head or tail of how to install wireless drivers for the Internet for any version of Ubuntu. I went to the guide forum but I couldn't follow the instructions given the two cards I have--either the card wasn't listed or the instructions were beyond my comprehension.

On Kubuntu, occasionally my screen goes blank and I have to reboot--I don't have a keyboard or anything when the screen goes blank. On the forums I noticed that someone had the same problem with Ubuntu and that it probably had something to do with an overheating processor--but I run Linux at low CPU speed to save power and I have never had this problem either with Ubuntu or with Windows: that would suggest to me a software bug in Kubuntu (i.e. KDE).

Neither the Ubuntu nor the Kubuntu Gutsy Live CD works.

I believe that I have posted questions about all of these matters on the forums, and to most of these problems I haven't even received a reply.

For the most part, all of the above problems either are solved virtually automatically in Windows XP Pro (e.g. FAX services, pcmcia modem and wireless drivers) or don't exist (e.g. blank screens, non-functional applets).

I just don't have the level of problem that I have with Linux with Windows XP Pro on a dual boot machine.

This is not to say that Windows is perfect, but it is to say that in my experience--much to my surprise--it has a higher level of reliability than Linux AT THE LEVEL OF THE USER INTERFACE.

Linux is interesting to me theoretically as an alternative and it is practically useful in my particular situation because it gives me control over power consumption where XP doesn't--but if my experience with Linux is any indication, shouldn't people who have senior positions in the Linux community give serious thought to the useability and reliability of Linux?

Moreover, if we are to escape the Microsoft development model of larger and more bloated operating systems (2000 > XP > Vista), the only alternatives are to go to Linux or to Apple. But with this level of user difficulties with Linux, how can Linux possibly make a serious dent in Windows' market share? And for the privilege of using the aristocrat of computers, the Apple, you pay an aristocratic sum.

Whatawonderfulday
    Last edited by Whatawonderfulday; December 27th, 2007 at 11:20 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Can Linux Ever Displace Windows?

I know there are still alot of problems with Linux and Ubuntu, but it has seen worlds of improvement even between Edgy, Feisty, and Gutsy. I think eventually that Linux will take over the crap that Vista is and become the most popular OS. But like I said, it still needs work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A large part of your experience depends on what hardware you use. Some hardware works better than other hardware. The problem is that many hardware manufacturers don't think about other OS'es than Windows or Mac OS X when they build their hardware and they are not willing to support open source developers to write drivers for their hardware. It's time that more hardware manufacturers start taking Linux seriously. Probably it's hard for them because Linux is not developed by a single commercial company, so they don't know how to deal with supporting Linux.

On my Dell XPS M1330 laptop, everything works out of the box, including wireless networking, 3D graphics and the webcam. (There was one small thing: the internal microphone didn't work, but it was easy to install a fix for this).

I also have Windows Vista on this laptop (although I use Ubuntu 99.9% of the time) and it was much harder to install than Ubuntu 7.10, because I had to install drivers for networking, the webcam, the chipset, videocard etc. by hand after installing Windows. So on this laptop, my experience with Ubuntu and Vista is almost the opposite to yours.
    Last edited by jespdj; December 27th, 2007 at 12:27 PM.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

I have had a similar experience to jespdj's when it comes to linux on my aspire 1644WLMi. Ubuntu and most other *nixes have worked almost perfectly out of the box. Windows XP which came preinstalled on this laptop has never worked with my wireless, suffering from frequent drop outs. That problem simply doesn't come up in linux.

Beans

I have been trying to get Gutsy working on a desktop pc for about 4 weeks now.

I agree that some work needs to be done one wireless networking, modem and (related to modems) fax capabilities. Either of these are working at the moment.

It is fun trying to get all of this working, when Windows is still available on my pc. Until now, I cannot totally depend on Ubuntu, I wish I could.

Regards,

Wim.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wim, if you want help from the community to solve your problems, then please explain in detail what hardware you have and how it doesn't work (do you get error messages, etc...).
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I think the developers put a lot of thought into the usability of ubuntu: I've noticed several improvements with gutsy. More often, things just work- with bugs, or course, but still its getting better. When I try to play a video that I don't have the codec for, ubuntu asks me if I would like to install the codec. The install process is becoming easier.

I've run into many difficulties with ubuntu that have been very frusterating. But I've also had great experiences with some versions: Gutsy for me has just worked- everything. I dual-boot with winxp, and it is the same, sometimes a pain in the ***, sometimes great. It's all luck. The difference is you fixing things with help from the countless helpful people on this forum or calling geek squad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Just to echo the same sentiment, hardware issues are the bane of any operating system. Trust me, in 1998, installing Linux on your own machine was an intense process. I think it took me, like, 3 full weeks to get Slackware up and running on my 486. Keep in mind, I had no modem, and would have to go to work if I wanted to search for help online. Let's just say that I never got XFree86 to work with my video card. Anyway, as I'm sure you can imagine, things have improved tremendously. It is true that not every piece of hardware is supported in Linux (no matter what flavor you're trying to install), but the vast majority works perfectly out of the box.

You've got the right idea: keep posting to the forums. If you find that the folks in the Ubuntu forums are not able to answer your questions, then take them elsewhere. There are many, many online resources available. Try posting to http://www.linuxquestions.org/ . Who knows, maybe someone there has had experience getting the same hardware to run.

Just my $0.02.
    I'm not sure what to put here, so I'll just stop now while I'm ahead.

Beans

My advice, build a new computer with "Linux" in mind. Purchase hardware that is compatible and supports Linux. Honestly, that's your best bet.

I purchased a barebones computer and had a hell of a time getting Linux installed on it with everything working properly. I ended up RMAing the unit and building a new computer from scratch. I just spent a little time doing searches online to make sure my hardware would work with Linux.
    Registered Linux User # 437006
    http://sidux.com/ - K Desktop Environment (Debian Sid)
    MasterShaper - Network traffic under control

Currently listening to

Beans

Hardware issues are my current headache also. I tend to buy hardware based on deals and such. I consider it a challenge to get the cheapest bang for the buck in my laptops and desktops. Unfortunately that will almost guarantee linux problems. Synaptic touch pad on my laptop jumps the cursor to the pointer all the time while typing, can't get true dual monitors on a ati 1950 working with the monitors being a 20" Widesreen and 17" non-widescreen. Have to fiddle with config files to get a decent resolution on the 20" by itself. None of my printers work at all.

I love my simple hand built Ubuntu file, web, streaming media server in my basement. It's the day to day desktop use that gets annoying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast