Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MXit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

MXit

Hi there,

I used ti be able to get my mxit buddies on GoogleTalk in Windows and using wither Pidgin or Kopete I was able to talk from my pc to my buddies on the cell phones. Now I get a 404 error on the mxit server. Anybody got any ideas on why?
    My philosophy in life: If it's not broken, tweak it 'till it breaks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: MXit

okay, i'm not a hundred percent sure, but this is how i think the whole thing works.

google talk have jabber server(s), mxit have jabber server(s). both connect to a much larger jabber network (that inter-connects all jabber servers/networks). so that is why you should be able to see mxit contacts from google talk and vice versa.

now the problem, i think, is that either the google talk or the mxit servers aren't connecting to the much larger jabber network. my guess, its the mxit servers. i suspect that mxit are doing this on purpose to reduce server overhead, but thats just speculation.

in fact, this is all speculation, but i think this is why the problem exists. i've also been having the same problem and this is the only reason i could think of.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is a perpetual problem I think. I wish clockspeed would just get Mxit to run, fast and efficiently,- I don't need or want all the other useless features they keep adding, which just adds bloat to the whole program.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hi everyone,

I have just managed to run Mxit using the Nhal emulator on Wine, without any problems. Now it even uses less CPU power than in Windows, according to my guage.

Beans

Any info on whether they will be releasing a version for Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Bödvar View Post
    Any info on whether they will be releasing a version for Ubuntu?
    Have you tried running it under Wine? It seems simple enough to run under wine.

EDIT:
    I was referring to their desktop application under wine not through an emulator.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drubin View Post
    Have you tried running it under Wine? It seems simple enough to run under wine.

EDIT:
    I was referring to their desktop application under wine not through an emulator.
    Yes, it failed to open. It just gave a blank little window, about the size I suppose the programme is supposed to be.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Bödvar View Post
    Yes, it failed to open. It just gave a blank little window, about the size I suppose the programme is supposed to be.
    I am going to look into it for you. Will see what I can get going. I assumed it would work on Wine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drubin View Post
    I am going to look into it for you. Will see what I can get going. I assumed it would work on Wine.
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast