View Poll Results: What version of Ubuntu should I recommend?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ubuntu 7.04

4 8.70%
  • Ubuntu 7.10

36 78.26%
  • Kubuntu 7.04

2 4.35%
  • Kubuntu 7.10

3 6.52%
  • Xubutu 7.04

0 0%
  • Xubuntu 7.10

1 2.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What version of Ubuntu should I recommend to my Linux User's Group

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Question What version of Ubuntu should I recommend to my Linux User's Group

I would like to ask everyone as to whether I should recommend Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or Xubuntu to my Linux User's Group, and whether it should be 7.04 or 7.10. Could you also explain why please? I was just curious as to what everyone here thought about this. Thank you.

Sin Cere

CCNA
    Visit the Wheatland Linux user's group website at http.//www.wheatlandlinux.wordpress.com
    If you have any tips on how to improve the website please post a comment somewhere on the blog. Ubuntu user 19655 Linux users 461059

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What version of Ubuntu should I recommend to my Linux User's Group

recommend all of them!

Beans

recomend the choise to them of which one (or all) you should show them

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i say give them a choice, but i say if you have to nothing wrong with strait up gutsy ubuntu

Beans

Go with the newest and Ubuntu is always the most polished of the three since thats what they focus on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Like the majority of participants so far, I voted Ubuntu 7.10 in the poll - if you must recommend just one version, you may as well go with the latest - but (again, like most participants) I think you shouldn't recommend one over the others. All recent releases have a place. Some hardware may do better with Xubuntu. Some hardware may run a different release better. OS selection is a real horses for courses affair, and Ubuntu has a whole stableful of horses to choose from.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I recommend Gusty...the only other one I tried was 7.04, and that was pretty good too, but I like the multiple monitor support with 7.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Question Re: What version of Ubuntu should I recommend to my Linux User's Group

Could people who think KDE and/or Xfce is better than Gnome please state why? Thank you.

Sin Cere,

CCNA
    Visit the Wheatland Linux user's group website at http.//www.wheatlandlinux.wordpress.com
    If you have any tips on how to improve the website please post a comment somewhere on the blog. Ubuntu user 19655 Linux users 461059

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wink Re: What version of Ubuntu should I recommend to my Linux User's Group

I use both Xubuntu and Ubuntu, multi-booted on two desktops and one laptop.

As an "ordinary user" Xubuntu is faster at booting, internet browsing, especially internet videos, etc. I don't notice much difference in speed vs. Ubuntu in writing documents or internet emails or graphics, photos, and printing remotely on our local lan.

Ubuntu has more function such as screen capture (for Sudoku and word jumbles), browsing and sharing files and photos on our local lan, and comes with gedit pretty good for editing system files.

Kubuntu has more eye candy hence more overhead if what you want to do is work with your pc in itself. As such I find I have to go thru lots more windows to do the same thing as Ubuntu. It also has a hitch in coming with Konqueror instead of Firefox. Konqueror doesn't seem to handle internet videos so I have to add Firefox; at that point might as well use a linux that has Firefox standard like Ubuntu and Xubuntu.

If you're on a PC with 2 gHz or better, Ubuntu is fine. Lower than 2 gHz there are times Xubuntu is noticeably faster.

So you pays your money and takes your choice. Frankly, with a 40 GB hard disk, I can dual boot with a 10G partition for Ubuntu, a 10G for Xubuntu, 20G for a shared /home and don't forget to squeeze in a shared 512 mb swap.

Why dual boot? as time goes on, new releases of Ubuntu come out, much better to try it on one partition leaving an existing partition still running. In that light I always download from Daily Build and never do an upgrade. With backup CD's of previous release there's a life line, and the /home stays put. (back it up too). R/W CD's and/or USB flash memory are good for backup.

By the way, I don't do games or 3D desktops etc. I do like to try new Ubuntu/Xubuntu Alpha, Beta, etc.

Jerry

If you are just starting out and your hardware can support Ubuntu, go with Ubuntu. Most people here use Ubuntu and so help is more often quicker than using Kubuntu. If after a you get used to Ubuntu and want to try Kubuntu, I would encourage you to try it and see if it works for you.

Xubuntu is good for older computers without a lot of CPU and ram.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast