Thread: Trouble w/ libgtk-1.2.so.0

Beans

Trouble w/ libgtk-1.2.so.0

I'm trying to install the game Uplink by Introversion, and am having some troubles. I can install the game perfectly except that the installer keeps complaining about one thing...
    Code:
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing Uplink full 1.31.................................................
    /home/tommy/.setup11313: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-1.2.so.0:
    cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Press Return to close this window
    I've searched far and wide for this library, to no avail. On other threads about similar problems, I've seen solutions such as libgtx1.2-common, but none of those work for me.

I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 i386 (which is 32-bit, right?) and the game is 32-bit also. But, this "libgtk-1.2.so.0" doesn't seem to be available for i386.

Is there someway to fix this problem? The only immediately apparent options are to remove dependency on the library (which would be nearly impossible; I'm not much of a coder) and to get the library (which, as explained, is unavailable).

Also, I am working with a Linux release of Uplink, though I have tried the Windows version through Wine.I got a generic "encountered a problem, had to close" error.
    Last edited by transitional; December 27th, 2007 at 03:29 AM.

Beans

Re: Trouble w/ libgtk-1.2.so.0

That is
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libgtk1.2 libglib1.2
    You can use getlibs http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=474790 to save yourself the trouble of looking up the library or you can go to http://packages.ubuntu.com/ and "Search the contents of packages" to find it. Other alternatives are apt-file (given the name of a file it tells you what package) and auto-apt (think it can solve dependencies even though that is a shell install).
    Currently favorite songs:
    Miss Hyde, This Song Is About Monsters, Masagin, I Will Try to Blow it Out, La Resistance
    Visit www.cherrypeel.com for more free indie music =)