Thread: Open existing xp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Open existing xp

Hi, i have read that this is not possible, but in old posts, so i wanted to ask if is it possible to open an existing xp using a virtual machine, i want to do this beacuse i installled xp in virtualbox, and then realized you cant run 2d nor 3d, i want to have xp in ubuntu so i dont have to reboot, cause i only use maplestory from windows.

Thanks and happy holidays!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Open existing xp

This is something I would also like to do for the same reason. I don't want to reboot my computer, closing my linux proccesses, just to play maplestory. There are many that are trying to do this. I'm not sure how to play maplestory by using your winxp partition, and I share your frustration in virtualbox not supporting directX well enough to play games (not even the 10 year old Nesticle emulator!)

Here is a guide that I'm working through at the moment that claims success using VMware to create a virtual machine. Hope this helps!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=372928
    Adopt a post!! Click on the Unanswered Threads link and share the knowledge and love!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Open existing xp

Thanks, i was also yhinking of that post, but i find this problem, it says that before run this to see if u have 3d:

Code:
    $ glxinfo | grep direct
    but i get rendering: no, but i use compiz, have cube, 3d plug in and all, so u think i should follow the post??

Thanks for helping