Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: big guns for little shooters

Beans
    Hidden!

big guns for little shooters

this is for those of us who consider ourselves psychotic-minimalists (like, i flip out whenever i go above 200mbs of memory usage, even though i have a gig. <---doofus!). even so, there are apps i'll use, that are monstrous, and i'll use them just because i need it done the way i want it done, without worrying.

gimp will always be what i use for image editing

k3b has never made me a coaster that wasn't my fault

firefox just does everything (otherwise, i've been using elinks)

thunar does what i need once i realize that i don't really know what i'm doing with cli file management.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: big guns for little shooters

Quote Originally Posted by fuscia View Post
    this is for those of us who consider ourselves psychotic-minimalists (like, i flip out whenever i go above 200mbs of memory usage, even though i have a gig. <---doofus!). even so, there are apps i'll use, that are monstrous, and i'll use them just because i need it done the way i want it done, without worrying.

gimp will always be what i use for image editing

k3b has never made me a coaster that wasn't my fault

firefox just does everything (otherwise, i've been using elinks)

thunar does what i need once i realize that i don't really know what i'm doing with cli file management.
    I have the same feeling toward RAM usage as you. You might be happy to know that when I compared firefox3 (beta) to 2, there was a great difference in RAM usage.

I don't use GIMP, I dislike it but I don't do image editing at all so no loss for me.

K3b... I love this software as well. So damn nice to use.

thunar, no idea what that is.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Josh1 View Post

thunar, no idea what that is.
    Thunar is the default XFCE file manager.
    My Laptop: 1.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HD, Intel Integrated Graphics, Intel Pro Wireless 3945
    Partitioning: 10 GB Debian Testing partition, 10 GB Ubuntu 8.10, 1.2 GB Swap partition,and then 55 GB for "/media/Documents"

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Right now I have 9MB of RAM free and I'm not going into swap so that's good enough for me, I'm actually a little surprised when I see I'm only using 500MB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

firefox still hung on my 8GB machine. I am a little bit disappointed.
    Totally shifted to ubuntu. Making my girl friend to do the same.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    my path for an engagement ring.

Beans
    Hidden!

I got 1gb, too, and also trimmed back a lot of fluff to minimize it.

Firefox is ok, but it freezes up a little when opening some pages. I noticed it's usually pages getting traffic stats using Google-Analytics, though, so Google's servers are probably slowing things down (they're like the hub of the world now it seems). And if I'm using it for a while, it'll just freeze sometimes, forcing me to shut it down. I'm not sure what causes that. Hasn't happened as much since Gutsy.

I've been thinking of going back to Xubuntu / XFCE, because Gnome has a lot of "high mem" objects ... panels, applets, etc. I mean, the weather applet, which I like, uses ~4mb itself. I don't really use much, so not sure why I don't switch ...

So all the RAM freed up, and I've got folding running high-mem processes...and that only uses up 100mb. It's kind of a waste. I'm telling you, other than for gaming or video/graphics editing, 5 year old computers have all the power and mem modern users still need. If they could just cram all this into a wrist-watch, I'd do away with my desktop computer.

Beans

Yeah, I prefer minimalism. But instead of RAM usage, I judge it by the feel of it, if that makes sense.
    The main one that feels 'big', that I use, is Opera because of all it's features
    Other than that, GNOME+Compiz which I'm using until I figure out Awesome.
    I do have GIMP installed but never use it, nor do I need it.
    Last.fm | Linux User#449102 | Ubuntu User#15213
    NEVER type a command you don't understand eg. sudo rm -rf / or something similar
    Learn about them here or here.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Tundro Walker View Post
    I noticed it's usually pages getting traffic stats using Google-Analytics
    if you use the noscript extension, you can disallow google-analytics.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by funrider View Post
    firefox still hung on my 8GB machine. I am a little bit disappointed.
    Woah 8G. I thought I was bad with 4GB
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans

I have only 512 MB of RAM. Typically, when I boot up into Linux Mint XFCE it uses around 180 MB, and Kubuntu uses about 190. When I am using Firefox, it generally brings it up to 215~230 and Firefox + Exaile/Amarok means 240~250. I hate it when it goes over 250 though. I know I should use Konquerer for web browsing on KDE but I just like Firefox, and since I use one of the crystal themes it makes Firefox look like a KDE app.
    My Laptop: 1.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HD, Intel Integrated Graphics, Intel Pro Wireless 3945
    Partitioning: 10 GB Debian Testing partition, 10 GB Ubuntu 8.10, 1.2 GB Swap partition,and then 55 GB for "/media/Documents"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast