Thread: ipod touch on vmware server running xp

Beans

ipod touch on vmware server running xp

hey all, i have an issue here:

i have an ipod touch, im running ubuntu. gusty gibbon 7.10, i have vmware server 1.04, and i have xp pro installed as my main virtual machine. When I plug in my ipod touch i receive a message asking me if i want to import photos. none are found, of course. in vmware server, i go to menu option vm > removable devices > usb, and theres a grayed out "apple inc. ipod" option that cannot be selected. my usb pendrive works fine, as well as my memory card reader built into the computer. im trying to use itunes to sync/recover, etc. any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ipod touch on vmware server running xp

You might try adding this to your fstab file:

Code:
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs auto 0 0
    That has helped some with USB drives.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I think that this is an issue with VMWare's USB support. As far as I know, VMWare only supports USB version 1.1.

VMWare's web site could be a better place to find out if the iPod works in a VM.
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by popch View Post
    I think that this is an issue with VMWare's USB support. As far as I know, VMWare only supports USB version 1.1.

VMWare's web site could be a better place to find out if the iPod works in a VM.
    I have several USB 2.n devices working with VMware guest.

Yes, let's check VMware web site for info on iPod.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    I have several USB 2.n devices working with VMware guest. (...)
    So did I, in VMWare Workstation 5.x. They did walk but not run, i.e. they worked but were dreadfully slow.
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans

I've got pretty much the same setup and I'm unable to give the guest OS access to the iPod. Couldn't find anything useful on the website either.

For some reason Ubuntu kind of detects the iPod as a camera, and asks to import photos. Perhaps this is part of why it will not work in VMware?

Update: I'm not really shure why, but all of a sudden today, I plugged in my iPod to charge it (which I've had no trouble with in Linux), I started my XP virtual machine, and decided to just give it a go, and there it was available in the VM -> Removable devices -> USB.

Of course, it is still only available as a USB 1 device, but it's a good start I went to be last night thinking I'd have to arrange for a dual boot
    Last edited by StianH; December 29th, 2007 at 01:27 PM.

Beans

I have seen this plenty of times since the iPod Touch came out. Do you have iTunes installed on the virtual machine. Windows XP/Vista thing you have plugged in a camera with pictures unless you install itunes which apparently carries along drivers for the ipods.

Beans

Yes of course iTunes is installed. ACtually XP detects that a iPod has been hotplugged, and some "bubbles" popup lettming me know this. Also there's a message saying that I've plugged a high speed USB device in a low-speed port.

iTunes doesn't seem to like the fact that the iPod is plugged into a USB1.1 port, because it does not acknowledge the ipod