Thread: VMServer installed with XP Pro...now help me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

VMServer installed with XP Pro...now help me

Ok, I have VMware Server installed along with a copy of XP Pro....(and vmware tools)...now, I want to migrate some business programs from my Vista partition over here to Ubuntu...I basically want to shrink down my Vista partition for gaming only, and do everything else over here.

How do I move the programs over and better yet, launch them from the Gnome desktop? Or do I have to install and launch them from within my Virtual XP machine everytime?

This is stupid for you veterans, so please bear with me..

thanks much!!
    DΞLL Precision M6500 "Big Dog": i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300
    .debBlog (cheat sheets)
    IRS Problems?

Beans

Re: VMServer installed with XP Pro...now help me

Unless there are linux alternatives, or the programs happen to run in Wine/Crossover Office you will need to launch VMWare server and then your XP program to run the installed windows in the virtual machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: VMServer installed with XP Pro...now help me

Quote Originally Posted by rechick View Post
    Unless there are linux alternatives, or the programs happen to run in Wine/Crossover Office you will need to launch VMWare server and then your XP program to run the installed windows in the virtual machine.
    Thanks rechick, I've found that out....my VM is working fine now...had to change my net card from "Bridged" to "NAT" to get on the internet, now all is well....I'm checking out this 2X Application Server software to see if there is any advantage to it now.
    DΞLL Precision M6500 "Big Dog": i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300
    .debBlog (cheat sheets)
    IRS Problems?