Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Howto: install the latest metacity in Gutsy (and get a built-in composite manager)

Beans

Re: Howto: install the latest metacity in Gutsy (and get a built-in composite manager

Ok, I got a stupid question, after installing all this, (I'm a newb btw) and I don't see "Metacity" anywhere in "system", so my question is, is Metacity the same as "appearance" in "system" "preferences"?

Color me a confused newb.

(I feel like an idiot, so sorry for asking)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Howto: install the latest metacity in Gutsy (and get a built-in composite manager

It's in the System>>Appearance>>Customize>>Window Border

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I've edited the guide to work with any current and upcoming metacity versions.

Compiling metacity 2.22 right now...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi!
    I read today about metacity compositing capabilities; I was just wondering how it compares to compiz. Which kind of effects can it handle? How do you configure it? Is it as smooth as compiz, on the same hardware?
    Thanks in advance!
    .:: use search function before posting, tnx! ::.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by captive View Post
    Hi!
    I read today about metacity compositing capabilities; I was just wondering how it compares to compiz. Which kind of effects can it handle? How do you configure it? Is it as smooth as compiz, on the same hardware?
    Thanks in advance!
    It just gives a basic (unconfigurable) drop shadows under menus and open windows. But since it means using metacity as your composite manager, you can also run screenlets without rendering problem.

Personally I prefer this basic capabilities over compiz. And it takes less hardware resources too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

According to gnome release notes it has also transparency capabilities and live preview in Alt+Tab swicher.

BTW, anyone can post a screenshot showing the shadow and live preview just for the pleasure ?

I myself also prefer metacity over compiz as it is rock solid and lighter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by frodon View Post
    And maybe it won't take 2 weeks to login to your desktop as compiz does...
    .:: use search function before posting, tnx! ::.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by frodon View Post
    According to gnome release notes it has also transparency capabilities and live preview in Alt+Tab swicher.

BTW, anyone can post a screenshot showing the shadow and live preview just for the pleasure ?

Ah, how can no one remember to put a screenshot? It's a must!
    See the attachments below

Gimp'd, resized from 1280x960 to 1024x768 & sharpened a little.

Anyway, if you want to enable compiz, you must turn off the metacity drop shadow in the gconf-editor first. Otherwise, the compiz won't run.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Metacity.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	62462   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Metacity 2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	215.5 KB 
ID:	62463  
    Last edited by ShodanjoDM; March 13th, 2008 at 03:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

i can't get screenlets to run just using the new metacity with the compositing enabled... i know the compositing is working because AWN works, but screenlets wont show up... any suggestions??

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ShodanjoDM View Post
    Ah, how can no one remember to put a screenshot? It's a must!
    See the attachments below

Gimp'd, resized from 1280x960 to 1024x768 & sharpened a little.

Anyway, if you want to enable compiz, you must turn off the metacity drop shadow in the gconf-editor first. Otherwise, the compiz won't run.
    May I ask what theme your running? I know I've seen it before but I can't quite remember the name - it looks pretty slick!
    Desktop: AMD 4200 64+ X2 - 4GB ram - nVidia 8600GT (512mb ram) - Ubuntu 8.04 / Win XP (Games) - Mac Mini - CD 1.6ghz - 1GB RAM - 80GB HD
    Laptop: MacBook Pro - 2.4ghz C2D - 15.4 glossy - 200GB HD - 4GB RAM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast