Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't Ubuntu come with proprietary software?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Red face Why doesn't Ubuntu come with proprietary software?

I used Ubuntu when 6.10 was the latest version available. I liked it but abandoned it after a month of use due to poor software support and online support. But When i installed Feisty Fawn two days back the change i saw was literally euphoric ! I was stunned to see the improvements AND SUPPORT. But there are still common sense mistakes prevailing. Why cant Ubuntu people understand that everybody uses Firefox, video codecs, skype, yahoo, MSN messenger and many other common softwares ! Why dont they include all of them in the orginal distribution. WHy do i need to install them after i install ubuntu. Yea yeah ! now you'll say that i should try automatix, Automatix is handy but does not install the latest versions. i still have to update each software.

I can deliever UP & RUNNING windows PC within an hour. I can install windows and all softwares within an hour and WITHOUT INTERNET !. But for UBUNTU i have to install ubuntu, update it ! install every software from internet. it takes more than 3 hours ! and thats the time if you have good internet connection !

WHY CANT I HAVE A COMPLETE ORIGINAL DISTRIBUTION? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What the hell ! Still Poor !

Quote Originally Posted by neon100 View Post
    Why cant Ubuntu people understand that everybody uses Firefox, video codecs, skype, yahoo, MSN messenger and many other common softwares
    I think you are overly broad in your assumptions about what "everybody uses". You are asking for trivial entertainment types of software, while most users are looking for functioning office applications, stable internet access and tools to do real work.

If you are looking for an OS tailored to your needs out of the box, then I doubt you will find it given that each of us has a different set of expectations.

I had the current Ubuntu up and running, running my X10 home automation system, working with my ipod and sharing files with the other systems at my house in just an hour or so and with little command line work. That is fantastic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Why cant Ubuntu people understand that everybody uses Firefox, video codecs, skype, yahoo, MSN messenger and many other common softwares ! Why dont they include all of them in the orginal distribution. WHy do i need to install them after i install ubuntu.
    Firefox is installed by default, codecs can be downloaded quickly (certainly doesn't take hours) and Pidgin (also installed by default) can be used instead of Yahoo and MSN messenger.

Yea yeah ! now you'll say that i should try automatix, Automatix is handy but does not install the latest versions. i still have to update each software.
    I do not recommend the use of Automatix, and its use is not supported on these forums.

Absolutely nothing to stop you releasing a customised version of ubuntu, although you wouldn't be able to distribute proprietary software such as Skype or MSN messenger.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

well, we have only got firefox, the most updated version too, so wtf are you talking about?
    Video codecs would make ubuntu un-free, but whenever you try to play a video that needs un-free codecs, it asks you if you wish to download them painlessly, so once you play a WMV, all WMV will play. Skype, non-free?, nobody uses, yahoo, and msn both suck, but if you want them, they are all ready part of pidgin just configure, and btw. I know skype has a very easy way to install on linux, and this is it: http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/ and just click ubuntu, freaking amazing
    Last edited by GuitarRocker2562; December 22nd, 2007 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Personal insult removed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

On Ubuntu you have access to a lot of that:
    Firefox
    yahoo, MSN messenger -> GAIM (Now called Pidgin)
    Skype I have no idea about, never used it.
    As for the codecs, they need to be manually installed by the user due to legal issues. If any Ubuntu user just runs through something such as http://www.ubuntuguide.org things seem a lot simpler than how you describe.

Every single Ubuntu install I've done, from putting the CD in, to a working desktop with what I want has been less than an hour, you need to make sure you select a different mirror then depending on your connection.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What you are asking for:-

Codecs
    Yahoo Messenger

Are not there in Ubuntu automatically because in the case of the codecs and Skype, it would be illegal and against the licensing agreements, so if you have a problem with that then you will have to blame the people who own that software instead of taking your anger at Ubuntu and it's developers.

In the case of MSN messenger, it is not there because of one simple fact being that there is no Linux version of it and which likely will not be coming because as you may have noticed, MSN is owned by Windows, so once again, this is not the fault of Ubuntu or it's developers and it is unfair of you to take your anger out at them, if you have a problem with this, then ask Windows for a Linux version of MSN messenger.

The reason Yahoo messenger is not there pretty much the same as the one for MSN messenger, and if you want it, once again, pester Yahoo for it.

You must understand that Linux(Which includes Ubuntu) is not Windows, so if you do not expect any differences between the two or a difficulty in getting used to Ubuntu, then you are rather silly in thinking that.

If you want a third-party distro of Ubuntu that may fit your needs, one such thing I would suggest is Ubuntu Ultimate or Linux Mint.

If you want to run MSN or Yahoo Messenger on Linux, then you will need to use Wine, but the usefulness of the programs are under question when you do so, I just use Pidgin for both MSN and Yahoo. Pidgin, incidentally, is built-in to Ubuntu 7.10.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarRocker2562 View Post
    now go jump off a bridge you loser.
    All users are entitled to their opinions on the forum, please keep the conversation as polite as possible.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Why doesn't Ubuntu come with proprietary software?

Linux Mint has everything you need. I suggest you check it out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NeoLithium View Post
    All users are entitled to their opinions on the forum, please keep the conversation as polite as possible.
    While the words used were rather coarse, I do understand the sentiment somewhat. The OP was being a bit of a troll.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Why doesn't Ubuntu come with proprietary software?

Why cant Ubuntu people understand that everybody uses Firefox, video codecs, skype, yahoo, MSN messenger and many other common softwares ! Why dont they include all of them in the orginal distribution. WHy do i need to install them after i install ubuntu.
    If you really want to know why Ubuntu does not include these things, read the link below:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by picpak View Post
    Linux Mint has everything you need. I suggest you check it out.
    I agree. As a matter of fact, a number of Linux distributions have what you need. Check out PCLinuxOS or Mepis as well.
    Last edited by aysiu; December 22nd, 2007 at 05:19 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast