View Poll Results: What do you own or have owned?

Voters
1925. You may not vote on this poll
  • ThinkPad "R" series

342 17.77%
  • ThinkPad "T" series

993 51.58%
  • ThinkPad "X" series

382 19.84%
  • ThinkPad "I" series

13 0.68%
  • ThinkPad "G" series

13 0.68%
  • ThinkPad "Z" series

39 2.03%
  • ThinkPad "S" series

34 1.77%
  • Other || I don't own one || I want to own one || I like polls

297 15.43%
  • Thinkpad "W" series

32 1.66%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 99 of 101 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 LastLast

Thread: ThinkPad Owners Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: ThinkPad Owners Thread

Still using my, now 8 years old, T40. It's had the motherboard replaced under warranty (after an accidently flood accident), upgraded RAM, and a recent new harddrive and battery. However, the screen is getting dimmer, and the graphics card isn't capable of running the latest OS's (unity/G3, even KDE). Though that isn't a problem at the moment.

I was looking into the new lenovo laptops. Do people know if they have the same build quality as my T40. My laptop has a titanium lid and magnesium alloy chassis - I wouldn't want to downgrade!

The graphics cards seem to be these dual integrated/discrete systems which I gather don't work well with linux. Anyone recommend a particular graphics set up?

Also, the screens are now widescreen - I have a suspicion that even the 15" screens are shorter than my 4:3 14". Is this true?

D

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

In my experience the old IBM Thinkpads were built like tanks, and could take just about as much abuse. The Lenovo Thinkpads are lighter, but a lot flimsier. After a year or two, the plastic parts start to crack and chip, the screen hinges get a bit wobbly, etc.

I'm not sure about the newer ones from the last year or two, as I haven't used one.
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by dave2001 View Post
    In my experience the old IBM Thinkpads were built like tanks, and could take just about as much abuse. The Lenovo Thinkpads are lighter, but a lot flimsier. After a year or two, the plastic parts start to crack and chip, the screen hinges get a bit wobbly, etc.

I'm not sure about the newer ones from the last year or two, as I haven't used one.
    I'm loving my 5-6 year old Thinkpad. Even, in some ways, over the Dell we purchased last December!

I have a Chromebook, which I really loved using because of the weight & size and long battery life. The battery life may be a little shorter but the screen is larger (12" vs 14") and the weight & size is just as comfortable.

Poor chromebook...
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Ever since I started using Linux, I have made a habit of rescuing old laptops from Craigslist and running one distro or another on them for a while before selling them for usually more than I paid. You'd be amazed at how many broken laptops just need a CMOS battery .

Of these laptops, only one (a really old Compaq Armada) rivaled any Thinkpad on build quality. And that one had the specs of a calculator.

A couple of the thinkpad models I owned elude me memory wise, but I have had a T22, an a31 and just picked up an X60 that I am in the process of freshening up to be my knock around machine. At 12 inches and three pounds, it's a true notebook.
    Dedicated Ubuntu Box (running 64 bit 11.10)
    custom build |intel q9450|4gb RAM|Nvidia 8800GTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Wow. It was forever when I posted here last. (My original post was number 38!)

The old Thinkpad 600 finally bit the dust today when the IDE controller inside it failed.

I honestly can't believe it lasted as long as it did. 'Twas a good machine.
    Desktop: Custom - AMD Athlon X4 Quadcore 4.02GHz, 8GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, 500GB HDD, Win7 x64/Ubuntu 14.04 x64
    Laptop: Thinkpad T61 - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00GHz, 4GB DDR2, 500GB HDD, Win7 x86/Ubuntu 14.04 x86

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hellion0 View Post
    Wow. It was forever when I posted here last. (My original post was number 38!)

The old Thinkpad 600 finally bit the dust today when the IDE controller inside it failed.

I honestly can't believe it lasted as long as it did. 'Twas a good machine.
    It's like losing an old friend, isn't it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    It's like losing an old friend, isn't it?
    Ugh, it was.

I'd just gotten a new wireless router, was going to upgrade it to 11.10... it had reached the point where even LXDE was too heavy for it, so I had it set up as a console-only rig and it STILL saw a ton of use. Wouldn't write to the hard drive. Threw in the Lubuntu alternate CD, tried a reinstall... wouldn't write, couldn't even see the partition table. Ok, drive's gotta be bad, tossed in another one... wouldn't write. Even put in the known good HDD from my HP... wouldn't write.

Sucks, too. Laptops like that are so rare nowadays.
    Desktop: Custom - AMD Athlon X4 Quadcore 4.02GHz, 8GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, 500GB HDD, Win7 x64/Ubuntu 14.04 x64
    Laptop: Thinkpad T61 - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00GHz, 4GB DDR2, 500GB HDD, Win7 x86/Ubuntu 14.04 x86

Beans

Talking Re: ThinkPad Owners Thread

Had an old T42 that I bought from the car boot sale for £20, install a old hard drive, a little bit of tinkering with the memory and a cd of Xubuntu and now proud owner of a perfect working laptop. Thank's to linux I just save £400, fortunately i don't have that kind of money, but a little bit of patience .... youtube working, video streaming working, access to my network working, thank you to all in the linux community...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lampeoneon73 View Post
    Had an old T42 that I bought from the car boot sale for £20, install a old hard drive, a little bit of tinkering with the memory and a cd of Xubuntu and now proud owner of a perfect working laptop. Thank's to linux I just save £400, fortunately i don't have that kind of money, but a little bit of patience .... youtube working, video streaming working, access to my network working, thank you to all in the linux community...
    I think I bought my T42 for about $20 too! A LOT cheaper than trying to buy even the most basic system for new (plus he threw in a mouse and carrying case).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Where is the Thinkpad E (420) ?

This is my very first laptop; pretty amazing, 8GB of RAM!
    And Ubuntu run like a Dreammm !

(Now I do not regret that I paid 720$ for it. )

Page 99 of 101 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 LastLast