View Poll Results: What do you own or have owned?

Voters
1925. You may not vote on this poll
  • ThinkPad "R" series

342 17.77%
  • ThinkPad "T" series

993 51.58%
  • ThinkPad "X" series

382 19.84%
  • ThinkPad "I" series

13 0.68%
  • ThinkPad "G" series

13 0.68%
  • ThinkPad "Z" series

39 2.03%
  • ThinkPad "S" series

34 1.77%
  • Other || I don't own one || I want to own one || I like polls

297 15.43%
  • Thinkpad "W" series

32 1.66%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 101 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: ThinkPad Owners Thread

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: ThinkPad Owners Thread

T61 here - Centrino Duo 2.0Ghz - 2Gb Ram - Intel graphics.

My CTO loves HP and always want to buy them when we get notebooks, but I held out for a Thinkpad. After playing with my T61 for about 5 minutes he asked me to order him one too.

I need XP for my windows sysadmin tools at work, but this thing dual boots Kubuntu like a dream. There are a couple of things that don't work out of the box, but can be fixed in a few minutes (when I get the time) - the page forward/backward buttons and small issues with screen brightness. Wireless works beautifully without any configuration.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I own a ThinkPad T30, works great. Very durable.

And worked right out of the box on Ubuntu!

Beans
    Hidden!

ThinkPad R40
    1.8 ghz Celeron
    512 mb RAM
    20 gb hdd
    ATI Mobility M6 LY 16 mb

I bought this on eBay for around $500 a couple of years ago. I think it must've been owned by a business and licensed to an employee in its previous life...

It's run a gauntlet of Linux installs with me. Ubuntu Breezy all the way through Gutsy, Gentoo, Zenwalk, Debian Sid, Lenny, and now Etch...even FreeBSD.

I like the ThinkPad's design better than any other laptop's (even Apple's line) just because it's all business. I've always hated how Dells and Compaqs and HPs look like little spaceships. ThinkPads are simply elegant, they pack useful features, and they're solid.

Now...if only the previous owner hadn't effectively drained the battery on mine.
    Last edited by zcal; December 20th, 2007 at 05:48 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    You are going to carry that around?!

Great specs, but for what I use my laptop, such a size would be impracticle.

(Could you post a picture?)
    Yes, I am. I have an Ogio bag, so its no thing whatsoever to carry. It's 1 pound heaver than a t61p.

As far as being a desktop replacement -- My work linux desktop is a dual chip dual core opteron with 16GB of ram and a Quadro-FX 5500. (and no, it is not overkill, I've taxed this box on many occaision depending on what I'm doing)

You may never replace your thinkpad for an HP, and thats fine, you shouldn't. thinkpads are great. I have a practical reason to (not to mention the opportunity to do so with no cost to me) from a resource standpoint, and I'm curious to see how the integrity of these laptops compare. If it fails in three months, then I guess I have my answer, but I doubt it will. You can't simply slam it because its an HP and you've had a crappy HP. This is not your bargin bin laptop line, much like the thinkpad line is not. HP Proliants are some of the best servers built, but you wouldn't know it from a crappy presario desktop..

Plus, the 8710w docking station has a built in NAS! Now that, I don't need... but there is a definate drool factor in effect.
    Last edited by toupeiro; December 20th, 2007 at 06:22 AM.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by zcal View Post
    I like the ThinkPad's design better than any other laptop's (even Apple's line) just because it's all business.
    I agree, I bought my wife a Macbook just before I got my Thinkpad in September and the Macbook is definitely "consumer" grade compared to the pro feel of the Thinkpad. Both cost about the same.
    Last edited by steelcap; December 20th, 2007 at 06:17 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    Yes, I am. I have an Ogio bag, so its no thing whatsoever to carry. It's 1 pound heaver than a t61p.

As far as being a desktop replacement -- My work linux desktop is a dual chip dual core opteron with 16GB of ram and a Quadro-FX 5500. (and no, it is not overkill, I've taxed this box on many occaision depending on what I'm doing)

You may never replace your thinkpad for an HP, and thats fine, you shouldn't. thinkpads are great. I have a practical reason to from a resource standpoint, and I'm curious to see how the integrity of these laptops compare. You can't simply slam it because its an HP and you've had a crappy HP. This is not your bargin bin laptop, much like the thinkpad line is not. HP Proliants are some of the best servers built, but you wouldn't know it from a crappy presario desktop..
    Wow, your specs are certainly impressive, I am envious.

I have a Compaq Presario, and it works great (I am an HP fan too), good specs (not as high as yours though).

Let us know how the laptop works out, any good laptop is a good laptop no matter who built it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Wow, your specs are certainly impressive, I am envious.

I have a Compaq Presario, and it works great (I am an HP fan too), good specs (not as high as yours though).

Let us know how the laptop works out, any good laptop is a good laptop no matter who built it.
    I will definately do so. It will be a dual boot system. 64-bit vista and 64-bit feisty. The vista is for my work and R&D for cross platform 64 bit applications. The Feisty is for me because I do not like vista.

:edit: No offense about the crappy presario remark I hope, lol! I was making a point in comparison, not to say that all presario's are crap. <inserts foot in mouth>
    Last edited by toupeiro; December 20th, 2007 at 06:29 AM.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

T43 here...

1.86GHz Pentium M
    2 GB Ram
    120 GB seagate momentus HD
    Intel GMA 910 Graphics
    IPW2200 wireless
    bluetooth
    Slackware
    Windows XP

I love this little machine. It works great, is silly fast (to me anyway), pulls in wireless wonderfully (better than my friends shiny new macbook pro), and is a tank. The keyboard is great too, almost as good as my IBM model M keyboard on my desktop. I've also been very impressed at how cool this thing stays, tis wonderful! Only thing wrong with it is I'm missing a screw off the bottom left corner under the wrist rest. I've also been very impressed

Oh and since I havn't seen it mentioned yet, great info to be had here:

www.thinkwiki.org

I'm using the tp-fancontrol script from thinkwiki as well, it works nicely to keep the fan noise down.
    100 buckets of bits on the bus,
    100 buckets of bits,
    Take one down, short it to ground,
    FF buckets of bits on the bus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    :edit: No offense about the crappy presario remark I hope, lol! I was making a point in comparison, not to say that all presario's are crap. <inserts foot in mouth>
    I understand what you meant, it was kind of funny on my end.

I added a lot of the hard ware, so it isn't the same computer I bought (well, the processor and motherboard are the same as is the case, but most of the devices are added on)

Beans

Thinkpad 570e - 448MHz P3 - 312MB RAM - 30GB hdd - belkin wifi

I use Debian Lenny and Arch Linux on it. Used to use Xubuntu and Ubuntu server+fluxbox but there were too many issues
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Page 2 of 101 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast