View Poll Results: What do you own or have owned?

Voters
1925. You may not vote on this poll
  • ThinkPad "R" series

342 17.77%
  • ThinkPad "T" series

993 51.58%
  • ThinkPad "X" series

382 19.84%
  • ThinkPad "I" series

13 0.68%
  • ThinkPad "G" series

13 0.68%
  • ThinkPad "Z" series

39 2.03%
  • ThinkPad "S" series

34 1.77%
  • Other || I don't own one || I want to own one || I like polls

297 15.43%
  • Thinkpad "W" series

32 1.66%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 101 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: ThinkPad Owners Thread

Beans

ThinkPad Owners Thread

If you own a ThinkPad, you are probably very happy.

The ThinkPad series has been known for "exceptional build quality, system reliability", according to wikipedia, and I support that phrase.

So, what ThinkPads have you owned, own, or wish to own.

If you have any problems or exception stories (good or bad) let us know.

Articles and other interesting ThinkPad related links are welcome.

I recently bought, in October, a ThinkPad R61. I love it so far and hope to for a long time.

It has:

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
    2 GB RAM
    160 GB Hard Drive
    DVD +RW Drive

It works perfectly with Gutsy, however, Feisty had issues with the DVD drive, but that was fixable.
    Last edited by LaRoza; December 20th, 2007 at 02:19 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ThinkPad Owners Thread

I've had a T40 and currently have a T60.

I am at a crossroads right now where my job is giving me the option to upgrade, and i have two options:

T61p or the HP 8710w. As much as I love thinkpads, I am opting for the HP here. The config I am getting trumps the T61p in every way (CPU, disk options, screen, video card, and ram) and is only 300 dollars more than the best configured t61p I can get my hands on.

It is by no means a knock against Thinkpads, I know how good they are, and I want to test out HP's mobile workstation line of laptops to see how they compare.

HP will have:
    Intel T7800 CPU
    8GB of RAM
    17" Display (1920x1200)
    Nvidia FX 1600m (512MB of RAM)
    120GB Sata
    DVD/RW, Wireless, all the other standard goodies.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have an R40. Love it. Really haven't had any problems with it at all...Even dropped it once and nothing broke or went wonky on it. It had been sitting on a cooling pad at the time, and both fell to the floor. The cooling pad pretty much busted apart while the R40 keeps on ticking
    · Compaq Presario 5630 PII, 400 Mhz, 384 MB RAM: Arch with XFCE 4.6, Antix, Debian w/LDXE
    · Dell Dimension 8200, P4 2.2Ghz, 1.5 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7 (vrtualbox)
    · Thinkpad R40, P4 M 2.0 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

T61 relatively brand new.

duo core.
    2gb
    3100 graphics
    integrated fingerprint reader

overall pretty happy, still wish i had the original think pad functions working though.
    "A bill of rights is what the people are entitled to against every government on earth, general or particular, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference."- Thomas Jefferson

Count me in.

An 1161-41j, dating back to 2000 or so. It's definitely one of the best machines I've ever owned.
    Last edited by K.Mandla; November 28th, 2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Changed image.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    I've had a T40 and currently have a T60.

I am at a crossroads right now where my job is giving me the option to upgrade, and i have two options:

T61p or the HP 8710w. As much as I love thinkpads, I am opting for the HP here. The config I am getting trumps the T61p in every way (CPU, disk options, screen, video card, and ram) and is only 300 dollars more than the best configured t61p I can get my hands on.

It is by no means a knock against Thinkpads, I know how good they are, and I want to test out HP's mobile workstation line of laptops to see how they compare.

HP will have:
    Intel T7800 CPU
    8GB of RAM
    17" Display (1920x1200)
    120GB Sata
    I would not trade my Thinkpad for any HP and I have used both. The one you describe is more of a desktop replacment.

I have desktops I use my laptop because its small enough to be portable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post

HP will have:
    Intel T7800 CPU
    8GB of RAM
    17" Display (1920x1200)
    120GB Sata
    You are going to carry that around?!

Great specs, but for what I use my laptop, such a size would be impracticle.

(Could you post a picture?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have a T43 and love it. I owned a Dell Inspiron for five years before this computer, and replaced two screens, two keyboard, three motherboards, a disk drive, a hard drive, and probably more. I have had my ThinkPad for 2.5 years, and have only replaced a button on the touchpad (too much Morrowind will do that to you). I take my laptop everywhere, and need ThinkPad durability. Nothing else cuts it.

4.5-5 lbs is still too heavy for my liking, though (no, I am not small, I just like to travel light).

Unfortunately, I have an ATI Radeon Mobility video card, which means either screwing around with configuration files and third-party crap, or waiting for better drivers. In 7.10, at least I can use some of the Compiz enhancements.

I am hoping that another six months with the open ATI information will mean a better driver for Hardy Heron. If I can ever get dual monitors working, I can start thinking about ditching Windows entirely.
    Last edited by 50words; December 20th, 2007 at 03:09 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

My sig pretty much says it all

First X of the poll, yay!

I owned a T23, too. I should have kept it... but the X31 replaced it, completely. I wouldn't trade this little laptop for anything.
    N800 in my pocket, Acer 1410 in my backpack, Thinkpad X31 on a shrine

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

1 -TP 600x - PIII 500 Mhz / 384 Mb ram / 12Gb hdd

Have had this old friend for what seems like ever and never a problem. Has been running ubuntu since breezy and currently running gutsy beautifully.

2 - TP T42 - Pm 1.8 Ghz / 1Gb ram / 80Gb hdd

My current everyday laptop. Great box, again never any problems. Running ubuntu (dual boot w/xp) [yeah,yeah, work stuff, can't avoid it but getting closer all the time] since dapper and currently happily using gutsy.

Wouldn't trade either of them for the world.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jimrz; December 20th, 2007 at 04:52 AM.
    'Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security.' - Benjamin Franklin

Registered Linux User#407002 / Registered Ubuntu User#1806

Page 1 of 101 1231151 ... LastLast