Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We need to help utah be come more linuxian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Smile We need to help utah be come more linuxian

We need to start giving out many copies of Ubuntu to every one we meet, to get more people to use Ubuntu or Linux. And to promote the ideals that have been put forward by the developers.
    すべてと、そして、すべてへのリナックスは自由を鳴らせました。
    Linux to all, and to all, let freedom ring.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: We need to help utah be come more linuxian

Linux evangelism...

"Hi would you like a cd? It's free."
    this is my signiture

Beans

Lone Peak High School now uses ubuntu (thanks to yours truley) and I even helped them secure the grub startup . Currently working on a small program do allow easier customized grub menues.

Infact, every high school in Utah that I have gone to I have been able to influcence the Network Admin to start using Ubuntu on at least a small portion of the machines. With this being said,...

I think a great way to get Ubuntu everywhere is to get them into schools. Kind of like apple did in the early apple years (they believed kids would by what they grew up on, they kind of overlooked the gamming industry)

Getting Ubuntu into schools isn't that hard actually because it's "perfect" for a school. Think about it, you can't play annoying window games on ubuntu (well without sudo rights), you don't have to worry about expensive software or spyware or viruses and your system is instantly compatibile with pretty much everything. So to a network admin that is trying to stop kids from backing his computers or playing games, ubuntu is oh so nice.

With that said, I don't have a lot of time so have done what Ican with my space

The Net Duck
    My personal website is www.thenetduck.com
    A great new design community is: www.FreakinAmazing.com

Beans
    Distro

I have been trying to get Mountain View high school to start at least looking at it. But so far not much luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lostincyberspace View Post
    I have been trying to get Mountain View high school to start at least looking at it. But so far not much luck.
    Try talking to their computer science teacher first. I found that if there is a need, the network admin will usually allow it. Some network admins are "super window user" drones just know how to buy software from MS and won't every be open (had this experience in Wisconsin) but for the most part, if a computer science teacher requests it, that should help.

Make sure that they understand it's not a "wipe every computer" clean and put Ubuntu on, it's just a couple computers. See if they might be interested in trying it on one or two computers. I know that's how East Shore High got into it, I left Ubuntu on 2 of their computers to (show they how cool it really is) and after I graduated he poked around with it, liked it and changed is apple servers to Ubuntu (well some of them)

The Net duck

Beans
    Distro

That is what I am trying to do. I only got my shipit CDs to give out recently and she has been on vacation since.

Beans

I would love to get my school using Linux. But unfortunately I really doubt that is going to happen. The computer science teacher can't even spell Linux. I went to my programming class today and he had names of OSs written on the board from the computer tech classes, and he spelled it "Lenix". :/
    =Josh.Harris

Beans

LOL that is really funny.....I guess in my situation I had an advantage because both of the my teachers had previously used mac in a Unix type enviroment in the terminal, so they knew most of the commands right off the bad and wern't "scared" of not having a gui.

The Net Duck

Beans

Being a field engineer for a school district I can tell you using Ubuntu is not an easy sell.

For one there are so many applications that schools have used for ages and there is no way they'd be willing to give them up.

I've tried getting some of the big ones to work in Wine with no luck. Also at the higher grades a lot of curriculum is based on MS Office, working within windows and trouble shooting windows desktops. Not sure if Adobe CS3 works on Ubuntu or not or if the video cards drivers are available for photoshop type stuff.

You see there would be a whole lot of work involved in getting Ubuntu to work in a school. Sure virus protection and not having to worry about spyware as much would be nice, but it wont be long before Linux is targeted more.

But trying to get AD and Ubuntu to coexist and trying to teach people how to access their files a new way would be a huge learning curve.

The only place I see Ubuntu working in a school right now is in a basic writing/research lab. Other than that I just dont see it happening until the corporate world embraces it more and there are more courses in schools for Linux and the business world.

Still got a long ways to go..

Beans

I've been able to get 7 of my friends to switch to ubuntu (mostly using wubi). I'm trying to convert my entire neighborhood to Ubuntu as much as I can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast