Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I being silly for not liking OpenSuse?

Beans

Re: Am I being silly for not liking OpenSuse?

Many things have changed in 10.3: Yast is better than it was in 10.2 the whole OS is faster and looks better (IMO). As for a fast KDE I think OpenSuSE has the fastest KDE out of the RPM-based distros, and along with Sidux and Sabayon the fastest in general.
    First they ignore you...
    Then they laugh at you...
    Then they fight you...
    And then you win!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I forgot to mention my issue with PCLinuxOS. In the LiveCD I have, it does not look like NetworkManager is installed and ready out-of-the-box. With NetworkManager, it's been my experience that it either works flawlessly out of the box with zero configuration, or it doesn't work at all.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by laptoplinux View Post
    I forgot to mention my issue with PCLinuxOS. In the LiveCD I have, it does not look like NetworkManager is installed and ready out-of-the-box. With NetworkManager, it's been my experience that it either works flawlessly out of the box with zero configuration, or it doesn't work at all.
    Not to mention OO.o in PCLOS is older than Mandy's.

I think the novell/ms deal is a silly reason not to use OpenSuse. It is the community, with slight oversight from Novell that builds the distro. It is the corporate Suse Linuc Enterprise Desktop that you would need to be wary of. The package management is still a bit of an issue, although not terrible. I might still recommend SMART instead, though I would recommend it over apt too, so take it as you will. What wifi card do you have? Maybe we can recommend some that would work OOTB.

Off the top opf my head, I would recommend Sidux. It's Debain Sid, with blazing fast KDE.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

+1 for using the SMART package manager, though YaST in 10.3 is much better then it was in the past. It's just not as fast as apt-get. Honstly though, once you have all the software you need, you really do not use the package manager all that much. They even have a live CD now, so you can just give it a go without any real comitment. Sidux is very nice as well though if you want a good KDE distro, and kubuntu is getting better on each release.

As far as the MS deal goes, it's your own choice. I am not bothered at all by the deal. It's been a year, and I have not seen MS crush linux, or try to take over, or... well, really anything happen except Novell got some more people to start using SLES thanks to Microsoft. I think OpenOffice also plays a bit nicer with MS Office due to some Novell add ons. OpenSUSE is open source though, and it's really quite fantastic. So no, you're not silly for not liking it, but if you really want to use it and it works best for you, then it would seem a bit silly to not use it.
    Don't Panic!
    Practice safe text. Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12