Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bug Reporting For Ubuntu Forums

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Bug Reporting For Ubuntu Forums

This may be the dumbest thing to do, but if a user who is new or even been using linux for sometime knows nothing or little about the issue they're dealing with and knows it's an error with the application then they can post a report to a forum in which then we will have a group who can do the bug reporting for this community.

Personally, I think it's a fantastic idea and will be extremely helpful and the users would love it a lot and know that things are getting done much faster.

Please don't bash this post as it's just a suggestion, and could lead to better or worst things if delt with correctly.
    Last edited by XDevHald; September 11th, 2005 at 12:08 AM.
    AskDroid - Android Q&A Community

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Bug Reporting For Ubuntu Forums

It could be done, but, then those users would have to report between here and the bugtracker... wouldn't it just be better to educate users on how to use bugzilla/malone
    Regards,
    Mez
    Backports Lead & MOTU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mez
    It could be done, but, then those users would have to report between here and the bugtracker... wouldn't it just be better to educate users on how to use bugzilla/malone
    That as well can to be done. The forum would be for those who don't have time to report or don't know how and probably don't want to report a bug. Some people find it easier to let others do it for them.

Let's see what others have to say about this, and thank you for your input it does give a a few pointers

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Myers
    That as well can to be done. The forum would be for those who don't have time to report or don't know how and probably don't want to report a bug. Some people find it easier to let others do it for them.

Let's see what others have to say about this, and thank you for your input it does give a a few pointers
    If they see a bug as insignificant enought o not report it, then why would they report it here? ... plus, if it's so insignficant, it's probably going to have been picked up before... or, not be fixed due to new development work (so it'd say, stay in hoary, but have already been fixed in breezy) or something similar
    Regards,
    Mez
    Backports Lead & MOTU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mez
    If they see a bug as insignificant enought o not report it, then why would they report it here? ... plus, if it's so insignficant, it's probably going to have been picked up before... or, not be fixed due to new development work (so it'd say, stay in hoary, but have already been fixed in breezy) or something similar
    Again, we will see what other members have to say with their input, we can not leave it with one members input on this topic.

Thank You.

manicka Guest

Again, we will see what other members have to say with their input, we can not leave it with one members input on this topic.

Thank You.
    I think it's a good idea. I don't think it matters how the devs get their bugs reported, just as long as it happens. If people feel more comfortable using our community for such a service then it can only be a good thing in the long run.

I'd be happy to be involved or help in any way.

Grant

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by manicka
    I think it's a good idea. I don't think it matters how the devs get their bugs reported, just as long as it happens. If people feel more comfortable using our community for such a service then it can only be a good thing in the long run.

I'd be happy to be involved or help in any way.

Grant
    Thank you manicka for your support and thoughts on this Hopefully this will be in affect on the forums by tomorrow.

manicka Guest

Thank you manicka for your support and thoughts on this Hopefully this will be in affect on the forums by tomorrow.
    Sounds great
    Again, let me know if I can help in any way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I was given permission by poofyhairguy to send an e-mail to the Ubuntu staff & Ubuntu Forums and gave them a great detailed message of exactly what we're looking to do (This is as a community not for myself) and will be waiting for their e-mail with the Highest Priority for the e-mail.

The e-mail has been sent to ubuntu-geek for his words and thoughts on this.

I'll keep everyone updated and hopefull we'll see more good reviews from the members on this

Thank you again manicka!
    Last edited by XDevHald; September 11th, 2005 at 03:27 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

One suggestion: maybe it would be a good idea to allow guest postings in such a forum. The reason for this is because someone posting a bug may not care to use this forum or sign up for it and just wants the bug posted. Although then you have the whole spam issue.

Also, one could maybe add another bug reporting tool link like "Simple Bug Report Tool" in the gnome menu going straight to this forum! Heck, you could easily do this for Breezy because it's just a menu entry.
    STOP!
    Before you sign up to Dropbox, click here to read my post showing you how to get an additional 500mb free! That's 2.5GB of free space!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast