Thread: Get newer EVDO Modems working with Feisty (Moto Q specifically)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Lightbulb Get newer EVDO Modems working with Feisty (Moto Q specifically)

So the cdc-acm.ko module in the default Feisty kernel does not support the Motorla Q and quite a few other newer devices, the module loads when a device is connected but gives the following output in syslog.

Code:
    localhost kernel: [10862.541000] usb 5-6.3: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 11
    localhost kernel: [10862.630000] usb 5-6.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    localhost kernel: [10862.671000] drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: Zero length descriptor references
    localhost kernel: [10862.671000]
    localhost kernel: [10862.671000] cdc_acm: probe of 5-6.3:1.0 failed with error -22
    localhost kernel: [10862.671000] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
    localhost kernel: [10862.671000] drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: v0.25:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
    I searched for a quick way to fix it but didn't find any one place on how to do it so I'm writing it up here.

Here are the steps I followed (credits at the end of the HowTo)

Install the necessary tools:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-kernel-devel fakeroot build-essential git-core
    Download your current kernel headers
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
    Download the gutsy kernel source
    Code:
    cd /usr/src && sudo git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-gutsy.git ubuntu-gutsy
    Backup your original source files and kernel module
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c.orig
    sudo cp /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.h /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.h.orig
    sudo cp /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/class/usblp.c /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/class/usblp.c.orig
    sudo cp /usr/src/linux/include/linux/usb/cdc.h /usr/src/linux/include/linux/usb/cdc.h.orig
    sudo cp /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.ko.orig
    Copy the new files from gutsy source
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/src/ubutu-gutsy/drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c
    sudo cp /usr/src/ubuntu-gutsy/drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.h /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.h
    sudo cp /usr/src/ubuntu-gutsy/drivers/usb/class/usblp.c /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/class/usblp.c
    sudo cp /usr/src/ubuntu-gutsy/include/linux/usb/cdc.h /usr/src/linux/include/linux/usb/cdc.h
    Build the new module
    Code:
    cd /usr/src/linux && sudo make M=/usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/class
    Copy the new module and update module dependencies
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/usb/class/
    sudo depmod -a
    That should do it. Now if you plug in your device after you've activated it's modem mode you should get something like the following:
    Code:
    localhost kernel: [10738.635000] usb 5-6.3: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
    localhost kernel: [10738.723000] usb 5-6.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    localhost kernel: [10738.790000] cdc_acm 5-6.3:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
    localhost kernel: [10738.792000] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
    localhost kernel: [10738.793000] /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: v0.25:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
    Configure your new usb modem
    For configuring it to actually work I'll refer everyone over to the excellent howto: Qusers.com - Topic :: Tethering with Linux (USB & BT)

Credits
    The steps taken to build the download the source and build the kernel module were taken from the following guides:
    KernelCustomBuild - Ubuntu Wiki
    KernelGitGuide - Ubuntu Wiki
    HOWTO Build a Linux kernel module out-of-tree - BeezNest

Disclaimers
    Standard responsibility disclaimer: I'm not responsible if you screw up your computer, always make backups.

Using your phone as a modem is only "allowed" if you have a tethering plan with your carrier. Though you can use it without the plan you could get your account canceled.
    Last edited by bismark; December 20th, 2007 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Horrible grammar

Beans

Re: Get newer EVDO Modems working with Feisty (Moto Q specifically)

Hi, have you been able to sync your Moto Q with ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hey...the "Qusers.com - Topic :: Tethering with Linux (USB & BT)" link referred to above is actually here:

http://www.qusers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11935

Got my Q working on Gutsy. Thanks for the article!

Beans

Has anyone gotten this to work lately with hardy? I get this when I plug in my Moto Q

[ 697.691461] usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
    [ 697.722323] usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    [ 697.726431] ipaq 1-2:1.0: PocketPC PDA converter detected
    [ 697.728558] usb 1-2: PocketPC PDA converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    [ 706.511211] usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 5
    [ 706.511942] ipaq ttyUSB0: PocketPC PDA converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
    [ 706.511979] ipaq 1-2:1.0: device disconnected
    [ 706.668387] usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 6
    [ 706.772310] usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    [ 707.111911] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether
    [ 707.116455] usb 1-2: bad CDC descriptors
    [ 707.116912] usbcore: registered new interface driver rndis_host

Also I cannot get the qusers.com forum links to come up. Can anyone tell me how to use this phone to tether out?