Page 548 of 559 FirstFirst ... 48448498538546547548549550558 ... LastLast
Results 5,471 to 5,480 of 5583

Thread: Why do you choose Ubuntu over Windows

Beans

Re: If you have Windows XP, why do you use linux?

The Web is powered by Unix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Why do you choose Ubuntu over Windows

I dual boot Ubuntu and Windows (there are still a few items that require keeping Windows). I have targeted my software Ubuntu to only the applications that contribute to my primary tasks. As a result, when I'm in Ubuntu, I am better able to stay focused on the things I'm working on. Ubuntu's basically uncluttered interface and speed helps keep me on track.

Beans

I had a Windows XP update that was interrupted and caused a blue screen error. No matter what I did, I could not access my C: drive. I was told by 2 techs that I would have to send it in to be recovered at a cost of $600 +. I even bought a external enclosure to access it with my win7 laptop. It saw the drive, but still couldn't access files. I installed Ubuntu in trial mode and low and behold, if I couldn't see all the files that Windows wouldn't let me see. I transferred the files off the drive, reformatted the drive, installed Ubuntu and still having problems installing Windows fron the restore disk. So, this computer will be running Ubuntu full time, and I will be installing Ubuntu on my laptop beside Win7 when I am sure I won't be wiping out any files.

Beans

Beans

Actually i also choose Ubuntu over other Linux after trying different distros. It is by far the smoothest in terms of hardware compatibility, available of software and ease of use. Even compiling from source is easier in Ubuntu than say Fedora because dependencies are often missing in the latter and need to be compiled as well or if you are lazy and lucky (or unlucky) you may be able to find the missing rpms from dubious places. Often things work out of the box with Ubuntu (or just requiring minor tweaks) it is a major pain in some other distros (Debian comes to mind) usually I do manage to get them working, Linux is Linux but just need a lot more work.

I should add that I am not the kind of users who just use Ubuntu for web surfing and listening to music. I do quite a bit of stuffs on my computers and Ubuntu wins hand down over the others.For specific tasks there may be better or comparable distros but overall I have yet to find anything that can replace Ubuntu in the Linux world.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I duel boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu Studio but I now use Ubuntu 99% of the time. The Snowden revelation about Microsoft collaboration with the NSA was the last straw for me. The news that MS informs the NSA about vulnerabilities in Windows before they are patched so that it can exploit them to hack into computers confirmed my worst suspicions.

Software transparency is essential. Open source is still no guarantee against surveillance malware because it can be very subtle and easy to miss but there is at least the possibility that it can be audited by any programmer which is not the case with closed source software.

To hell with closed source software.
    Last edited by shaunthesheep; April 22nd, 2014 at 06:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by shaunthesheep View Post
    I duel boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu Studio
    With pistols, or swords?
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well, it's open source and for my needs it's more than enough as far as functionality goes, not really a hard choice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shaunthesheep View Post
    I duel boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu Studio but I now use Ubuntu 99% of the time. The Snowden revelation about Microsoft collaboration with the NSA was the last straw for me. The news that MS informs the NSA about vulnerabilities in Windows before they are patched so that it can exploit them to hack into computers confirmed my worst suspicions.

Software transparency is essential. Open source is still no guarantee against surveillance malware because it can be very subtle and easy to miss but there is at least the possibility that it can be audited by any programmer which is not the case with closed source software.

To hell with closed source software.
    They left out Apple, Google, facebook etc. I don't trust our government at all.
    GB Johnny333 67+++ Fl.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny3 View Post
    They left out Apple, Google, facebook etc. I don't trust our government at all.
    GB Johnny333 67+++ Fl.
    Even Linus was approached regarding NSA spying. He may have said "No" but he shook his head "Yes" about being approached. I don't remember if he said anything about including something or not though. His father, however, did say that since it was open source it COULDN'T include a back-door.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Page 548 of 559 FirstFirst ... 48448498538546547548549550558 ... LastLast