Page 547 of 558 FirstFirst ... 47447497537545546547548549557 ... LastLast
Results 5,461 to 5,470 of 5580

Thread: Why do you choose Ubuntu over Windows

Beans

Re: Why do you choose Ubuntu over Windows

I'll try to summarize the major reasons to choose Linux in general over propietary operating systems:

-it costs nothing
    -it's available for anyone to look at the source code, allowing for more in depth help and customization
    -it's less prone to the few viruses designed for it
    -there are many programs that are very similar in functionality, allowing you to choose precisely what you want in many cases
    -it can be tried from a CD or Flash Drive so you can choose the best option before editing your hard drive
    And there are many more that could be considered subsets of these.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I was an avid Windows user, dutifully buying each new version of the OS. I had dabbled in Linux (puppy Linux) ,and Windows 8 was coming out. I have a HP Touchsmart PC, and Windows 8 would have worked well on it. I don't know, other than the fact that I bought an Apple laptop, which replaced my Puppy Linux laptop, I decided to jump into Ubuntu with both feet. The touch screen works, but don't really like tons of fingerprints on my screen. I switched 'cold turkey' and don't miss Windows. I use Virtualbox to run the software for my kobo reader and my Zune HD. That's all. Everything else is pure Linux. My partner, whose 68, had a bit of trouble for a week or so, but now is fine with the switch.

No infections, free upgrades, tons of free apps. Total control over customization. Nothing else to say! The best there is. love it!

Beans

Because I enjoy the freedom of the Open-Source world...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ah likes Gnu/Linux 'cuz ah kin does whut ah wants! If'n ah wants ta uninstall a program, ah kin! Winderz ain't lettin' me uninstall sum HP bloatware an ah hates it! A pox on BillGatus of Borg!

Beans

Ubuntu is much nicer to develop on, you learn more, the tools provided at the end of a simple text command still boggle my mind and its really interesting watching people adjust it to their own needs.

It not one persons vision, its anybody's and everybody's.

Beans

In short, less BS to deal with and much more stable. Did I mention that the user has more control over what is going on (ie: network inbound and outbound)

I just love it.

Only downside so far being, expensive engineering programs like: Solidworks and Autodesk Inventor dont seem to work without an innitial DOS based enviroment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: If you have Windows XP, why do you use linux?

I paid $495 for borland c++ compiler, probably $100 (+) for quattro pro, and several others, PLUS more for anti-virus for use with windows 98.
    had some compatibility issues when upgrading to XP, and windows 7 is not "backwards compatable". So now I'm supposed to shell out bigger
    buckets of money so the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation can donate all MY money so "everyone can be a productive member of society" (read SLAVE!)
    Yes, please keep buying M'soft products. With each iteration having less functionality, and more overhead, we're headed back to the stone-age.
    (well actually that may not be such a bad idea.)

No... Instead, I just had the tatoo "SUCKER" removed from my forehead, and am happily downloading FREE programs, with ubuntu, that bundles
    the absolute best office software, that have FREE tech support, and not some $180 per hour paid tech support that are slightly better than the "deaf leading the blind".
    Make mine hot, and black, no cream, no sugar, and no BS!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by handysmurf View Post
    I paid $495 for borland c++ compiler, probably $100 (+) for quattro pro, and several others, PLUS more for anti-virus for use with windows 98.
    had some compatibility issues when upgrading to XP, and windows 7 is not "backwards compatable". So now I'm supposed to shell out bigger
    buckets of money so the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation ...
    How many of those programs you use in Linux are also available for Windows?

I know probably not all of them, but on my Windows system I run LibreOffice, Firefox and Thunderbird in part because they are free (as in beer), free (as in freedom) and consistent with what I use in Linux as well.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I have been given old hardware. I have five PCChips M810L v 7.1a with 1 GB of RAM running a single core 32bit Athlon 2000+. With the TV Time linux application and TV tuner cards three of these are now my television sets and general entertainment centers for each bedroom. The others are for general pupose use, such as the one I am using now.

Many of my friends have old hardware. When they buy new equipment for the latest Windows, I see it as an opertunity to load Ubuntu on their old computer as an introduction to an alternative to Windows. I ask them what they need to do, then deck it out to meet their requirements.

Beans

I'm sure I won't be the first person to cite this reason, but I've managed to revive a lot of old laptops for my folks using various versions of Ubuntu. Some of these computers have got seven or eight years on the clock, and their original WinXP install is knackered - some run unbearably slowly, others just BSOD within seconds of logging in. Using a Knoppix Live disc, I was able to back up all their important files, and then with a fresh install of Ubuntu, these machines are back up to speed. Ubuntu 10.04 has proven to be fairly user-friendly, and my folks are quite happy with it.

Me? Both my PCs are now dual-boot and, like a lot of others on here, I only keep Windows around for a handful of games I still like to play, and some old recording software that will only run on an old WinXP setup. But if I get the time to learn how to use Ardour, Jack, Calf etc. properly, the latter's days may be numbered!

Page 547 of 558 FirstFirst ... 47447497537545546547548549557 ... LastLast