Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Programming: From Zero to Hero?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Programming: From Zero to Hero?

I have always hoped that I could teach myself how to use a programming language and then perhaps help develop Linux applications.

So my question is, is this realistic? I do not work in the IT field, neither do I have any IT background.

Is there anyone here who also comes from a non-IT and non-programming language environment, who taught themselves a programming language and then actually was good enough to help develop software?

Basically what I am asking is, is it worth investing the time and effort into this or should I stick to testing, translations and bug reporting?
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans

Re: Programming: From Zero to Hero?

Yes, it is worth it and can be done.

I am by no means an expert, in fact, I am a beginner, but by constantly learning, I increase my ability everyday.

You don't have to have a degree, only knowledge. It is said by the auther of "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" that it will take two years of study to be a "hacker", realize the use of the word is not "cracker".

For Linux, C and Python will make a very good combination, and Perl and Java are very useful as well.

Good luck, and here's a little self promotion (well, not really, but it is mine): http://laroza.pbwiki.com

I hope you find it useful, and find programming as fun as I.

(I have less than a year of study under my belt, so to speak, but I am really interested in programming and it is fun to me)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I personally like the O'Reilly books if you are looking for something to read.

I believe when LaRoza said C he/she meant C++.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    I believe when LaRoza said C he/she meant C++.
    No, I meant C.

(C++ is a good language too, but my recommendation to learn C and Python still stands)

+1 for the O'Reilly books, try to browse them before buying, and try to get books that will be useful after your read it. The "Cookbooks", "Programming In...", and "Pocket References" are the most useful.
    Last edited by LaRoza; December 17th, 2007 at 06:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thanks for the input sofar. How did you start teaching yourself LaRoza?
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by PartisanEntity View Post
    I have always hoped that I could teach myself how to use a programming language and then perhaps help develop Linux applications.

So my question is, is this realistic? I do not work in the IT field, neither do I have any IT background.

Is there anyone here who also comes from a non-IT and non-programming language environment, who taught themselves a programming language and then actually was good enough to help develop software?

Basically what I am asking is, is it worth investing the time and effort into this or should I stick to testing, translations and bug reporting?
    Woah steady guys!!! Hi Partisan. I have never had any training as such in software development, but all self taught. I think most people learn a lot that way. I would suggest that you don't jump straight into C/C++/C# etc. They can be quite tricky and even the simplest windowed "Hello World" program can go wrong because you forgot to include "<myhead.h>".

I suggest that you try JavaScript. It's a really good language and can be very powerful. The benefit is that because it's not compiled, you can run a script/program straight from a browser and see the results immediately.

Once you have tried that, then move onto the more structured languages, c/c++ etc but trust me, JavaScript will be a good learning tool to understand the basics of programming.
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PartisanEntity View Post
    Thanks for the input sofar. How did you start teaching yourself LaRoza?
    I was in a book store, with no real knowledge of computers or programming, and I happened to look at the books on programming and web development. (This section is near the science and math part of this bookstore, opposing shelves)

I idly picked up a book, this one and looked through it for no particular reason.

I decided I wanted to learn how to make web pages, so I bought it. (I learned it, obviously)

After learning XHTML, I was interested in other client side technologies, and learned CSS in the process, and started to look into JavaScript. I didn't learn it from this book but I wish I did.

Learning JavaScript made me interested in other languages, and since I didn't have the internet at home at this time, I had to buy books. I bought this book and learned C++ (which I don't really use now).

The only books I recommend people buy are reference books and books on other topics, like data structures. The web is the best resource usually, but is confusing, which is why I made my wiki. The only book I recommend of the ones I linked to is the ECMAScript book, DOM Scripting

I learned PHP soon after, don't remember where.

I started learning everything I could online (I saved web pages, tutorials, and applications to my flash drive and brought them home).

I started my wiki, after I felt I had enough knowledge to make it useful, and continue my study and search for knowledge.
    Last edited by LaRoza; December 17th, 2007 at 08:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

C++ in 24 hours! lol.

I took my first C++ class in 2001. I still wouldn't really say I know C++. Perl, on the other hand...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fatality_uk View Post
    I suggest that you try JavaScript. It's a really good language and can be very powerful. The benefit is that because it's not compiled, you can run a script/program straight from a browser and see the results immediately.

JavaScript will be a good learning tool to understand the basics of programming.
    In my opinion, JavaScript would not be the best. If you have good knowledge of XHTML and CSS, maybe, but otherwise, it will be very difficult to use.

Python is even easier, you don't need to run it in a browser, and you can run it interactive without actually writing a script (other languages do this too)

Python has an easier syntax, and less confusing principles than JavaScript.

With JavaScript, it is very unlikely the code will be of any quality or any use. http://laroza.freehostia.com/home/script/script.js is the script for my page, http://laroza.freehostia.com/home That script requires knowledge of OO programming, procedural programming, cross browser scripting, the DOM standard, and valid XHTML code and CSS to work on.

Perl would be much better than JavaScript in this area.

Python in an interactive session is much better than running JavaScript in a browser.

@fatality_uk What is your level of knowledge and experience?

-EDIT That ECMAScript code I linked to is old, and isn't the best, but it is much better than the code found on the typical page. It also tries something that is impossible, because I changed the page, but because of my design, no errors result.
    Last edited by LaRoza; December 17th, 2007 at 08:15 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    C++ in 24 hours! lol.
    See the link in my sig for the real story on programming in a set time frame (the article is linked to there)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast