Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All my recordings disappeared

Beans

Re: All my recordings disappeared

I have extra disk space set to 50 gigs, but I have a 500 gig drive with lots of extra space

Code:
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1             453G   37G  394G   9% /
    varrun               1008M  204K 1007M   1% /var/run
    varlock              1008M     0 1008M   0% /var/lock
    udev                 1008M   76K 1008M   1% /dev
    devshm               1008M     0 1008M   0% /dev/shm
    lrm                  1008M   38M  970M   4% /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/volatile
    This is just the standard mytbuntu filesystem setup.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

and what is your recording folder? is it the standard folder? It doesn't appear like what I thought the problem could be from so I am not sure what to tell you. If your tables are all ok, and your scheduling options have the "don't auto-expire" thingy checked you should be ok. This is weird. There's nothing in the logs anywhere? /var/log/myth........?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by butthash View Post
    I have extra disk space set to 50 gigs, but I have a 500 gig drive with lots of extra space... This is just the standard mytbuntu filesystem setup.
    that list has little to do with how your myth drive is partitioned, which is what it sounds like the problem could be
    and is what dannyboy and i are getting at here...

for example, in the "typical" mythbuntu installation you say you have, if you followed the offical communtity guide, you
    should have set up 3 partitions- root, swap and /var/lib which holds the recording directory. if the drive was properly
    formatted at set-up, then root will be 15-40 gigs or so (depending on your preference), swap is nominal and the
    remaining space is allocated to /var/lib.

however, if you did not take time to carefully allocate the space at format, then you could be "running out of room"
    with plenty of space left on the disk, which is a common mistake when setting up mythtv for the first time. if you
    breeze through partitioning without paying close attention, it is easy to end up with a smaller root parition, a swap and
    the remainder allocated as home.

if this is the case, then the bulk of your 500 gigs is allocated to the wrong directory- and since you are reserving
    an extra 50 gigs, mythtv would think it is running out of space- because /var/lib is located in the root partition in a
    "normal" linux partitioning scheme.

at this point, i suggest using qparted (or equivalent of your choice) to examine your partitions- paying special attention
    to the size of whichever partition holds /var/lib (since this is the "standard" mythtv recording directory). if the size of your
    recording partition- minus the 50 gigs you are reserving- winds up being too small, then you have found your problem-
    which is what it feels like to me.

if this is the case, then removing the 50 gig reserve will temporarily help. once we determine how your drive is
    partitioned and how the backend is configured, we can help you work out the changes needed to fix things without the
    need for a reformat or re-install.

please post the partitions, mount points and sizes of your mythtv drive per qparted and the location of your recording
    directory- per mythbackend setup.

also, don't forget that while we are helping you fix this, you can add --noautoexpire to the ARGS list in the mythbackend
    init script to temporarily halt all autoexpires and keep the shows you are currently recording but losing.
    Last edited by majoridiot; December 19th, 2007 at 05:13 PM. Reason: clarity

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by butthash View Post
    So I had a bunch of stuff recorded. I was working on setting up the Volume Knob on Antec Fusion http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php...n_Antec_Fusion.

Then I noticed that all my recordings were gone. I don't think working on the volume knob had anything to do it, but who knows.

I checked the disk and they are really gone.

Anyone have this happen before?
    Have you got mythweb (port 80) exposed to the internet without a password? If so a search engine web crawler can come along and access your mythtv following all the links on each page including the ones that delete recordings.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Furry_Fighter_20x66 View Post
    Have you got mythweb (port 80) exposed to the internet without a password? If so a search engine web crawler can come along and access your mythtv following all the links on each page including the ones that delete recordings.
    I would never have thought of that. But it looks like that is the problem. I didn't even know that mythweb was setup by default. And I had the mythtv box sitting behind a router. I use to have a webserver going that I forwarded port 80 to. I never took the forward off and by chance the mythtv box picked up the same ip address from DHCP as the old webserver.

Thanks for the idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

mythweb is NOT set up by default. At least it wasn't for me on mythbuntu or feisty synaptic mythtv packages. you can always check by issuing the following command

sudo aptitude show mythweb

if it shows
    State: not installed

than it's not installed.

It's either a database problem or a partition/mount point issue. I am not entirely sure how to do it, but have to tried recreating the mythconverg database?

Beans

Mythweb was setup by default. I added some security to Mythweb and I haven't had any problems since.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12