Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I install updates on a Mythbuntu system?

Hybrid View

Beans

Should I install updates on a Mythbuntu system?

Hi,

I used MythTV on Fedora for years but got fed up with Fedora issues (Fedora 8 = no sound...aargh!) and tried Mythbuntu 7.10 last night. I love it! I had it up and running in no time. Cheers to the developers.

My question is, the Update Manager says I need to install a bunch of updates. Do you advise installing these updates, or should I ignore them and just upgrade the entire system every 6 months as new Mythbuntu releases come out?

The updates include a bunch of Gnome and KDE related items, which seems odd since Mythbuntu uses XFCE.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Should I install updates on a Mythbuntu system?

Not sure exactly what updates you are looking at, but I keep my three mythbuntu systems up to data and I have not regretted it.
    Jj
    Registered Linux user #401472

Beans
    Hidden!

Horses for courses.

I'm opposed to updating. Once my system is up and running I disable updates.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!
    Never eat more than you can lift!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Titus A Duxass View Post
    I'm opposed to updating. Once my system is up and running I disable updates.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!
    I agree. I had too many problems with Fedora updates hosing my mythtv box.
    I think I'll disable my updates too - how should I do that on the Mythbuntu system?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vulture99 View Post
    I agree. I had too many problems with Fedora updates hosing my mythtv box.
    I think I'll disable my updates too - how should I do that on the Mythbuntu system?
    Exit the Mythbuntu frontend.
    Applications -> Settings -> Autostarted Applications
    Uncheck the Update Notifier.

Ted

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by michalikt View Post
    Exit the Mythbuntu frontend.
    Applications -> Settings -> Autostarted Applications
    Uncheck the Update Notifier.
    Excellent. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

There used to be lots of problems updating fedora because the ivtv drivers would bomb out on new kernels and lots of things had to be built and configured by hand. I've been running updated ubuntu on now mythbuntu on several machines for about a year now without ever running into a problem with updating. I think it depends on how close to stock your configuration is. Most of my hardware is well supported and I run a pretty clean simple configuration so I rarely see problems pop up and I often see improvements in updating. For instance the lirc-generator update a few weeks ago fixed several problems with the haupege remotes button mappings and kernel updates often have performance and hardware updates. Not to mention fixing critical bugs and security issues. I say stay up to date.
    Jj

Beans

Unhappy Re: Should I install updates on a Mythbuntu system?

I let mine update the other day and now regret it. I have a PVR-150 with the IR receiver port and my remote no longer works. Hopefully, they will fix it in the next batch of updates and I'll get a functional remote again.

If anyone could point me to a fix in the meantime, I'd really appreciate it.

Ted

Beans

I let mine update the other day and now regret it. I have a PVR-150 with the IR receiver port and my remote no longer works. Hopefully, they will fix it in the next batch of updates and I'll get a functional remote again.

Ted
    Are you sure you have not rebooted the system? A lot of us have problem after a reboot because the lirc seems to change and you have to adjust the /lirc/hardware.conf.

Beans
    Distro

Ted
    I would start a new thread with this. You should also update your lirc button mapping by checking the box for that in mcc.
    Jj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast