Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Install SAS on Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Install SAS on Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by scholzilla View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but my U offers SAS for windows (not linux) at a deep discount to students. I'd like to take advantage of this, but I don't/won't have windows. Do the install disks for the windows version work within ubuntu (8.04)? Is it as simple as putting them in the drive and following the cues or is there some trick to getting this to work?
    thanks
    No sorry ... the Windows disks won't work in Linux.
    There are specific Linux installation disks.

BTW: Also the license code (setinit) is platform dependend. So running a Windows license on a Linux platform will also not work.
    Last edited by useResa; August 28th, 2008 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Added info about setinit
    COMPROMISE: Let's agree to respect each other's views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Assuming you have paid for SAS and have a valid license that gets you in to their download center.... If you can get your SAS for Linux entitlement downloaded into a "SAS Software Depot" folder on a windows machine, then copy that over to an UBUNTU box, you can make it work.

Some notes for Ubuntu HH 8.04 Hardy Heron:

-Copied sas software depot over to Ubuntu

-Problems with Dash shell... make sure BASH shell is the default:

root@union:/bin# ls -ls /bin/sh

0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-08-29 06:58 /bin/sh -> bash

- Make sure the FULL PATH of the location of your SAS install files includes NO SPACES!!!!

(This means that if you copy over the "SAS Software Depot" folder from Windows after you download it with the windows-only-SAS-download tools (Thanks, SAS) - you'll need to rename that directory to "SAS_SW_DEP" or something without spaces)

For some reason, the execute "X" bit isnt getting set on scripts that are generated.... so often I had to manually set the "x" bit (chmod +x scriptname) and "retry" the install or hand-run the scripts.

for instance, in the last lines of the setup.sh script in the root of the sw depot folder, I added the chmod +x line

# Run the command
    chmod +x "$templocation/$launch"

exec "$templocation/$launch" "$@" -startuplocation "$startuplocation" -templocat
    ion "$templocation" 1>> "$logfile" 2>&1

exit $?

man this is a mess.....

I got it working tho.

-Matt

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mbw View Post
    Assuming you have paid for SAS and have a valid license that gets you in to their download center.... If you can get your SAS for Linux entitlement downloaded into a "SAS Software Depot" folder on a windows machine, then copy that over to an UBUNTU box, you can make it work.
    What SAS Version are you talking about here? I thought that only as of release 9.2 the software has become available from the download center.

BTW: Thanks for posting your experiences.
    COMPROMISE: Let's agree to respect each other's views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Beans

Hi everyone. I would really appreciate any help in regards
    to installing SAS 9.2 in Ubuntu. I have installed the SAS deployment in
    my home directory and once I ran the deployment wizard and select install application it starts running but when is installing the SAS foundation
    it gives me this error message not allowing me to continue I would appreciate any help on this.

/bin/sh: Illegal option -p

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I suggest a good long read of post #22 above ... and trying following the tips there...

Beans

Well, I ordered the DVD media and license for SAS 9.2 64-bit on Linux. I should have the discs in a few days and I'll install as soon as my new laptop is ordered and shipped (come on System 76 - let's go on the Serval!).

Will report back here with details after running a few archived SAS codes.

Regards,Old Dirty Turtle
    Desktop/Test Machine: Dell Dimension 8200, Intel Pentium 4, 512 Mhz. Hardy Heron.
    Laptop/Main: System76 Serval Pro, Intel Core2 Duo T9600 2.83 Ghz, nVidia, 4 Gb. Jaunty.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OldDirtyTurtle View Post
    Will report back here with details after running a few archived SAS codes.
    Please do. Looking forward to feedback about the installation of SAS 9.2 in Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I haven't used SAS since on an IBM mainframe in 1996. I really want to get into using it commercially again. Can anyone recommend a (free) method of installing a demo or tutorial on my Ubuntu box? Or is there an Open Source equivalent that the experience of which would stand up in a job interview?
    Also, is SPSS better to learn - I've never used it.
    New Install - 11.04 is the worst day's work ever done in Open Source.
    I'd rather use a mac. I'd rather use Vista!!!
    11.04 - better than win 98 for some applications.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would recommend using R instead. It's free, open source, and powerful. I'm only learning SAS because I have to. If you google "R" it's the first thing that comes up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

OK - I'd found 'R'.
    I still need another look at it, but I got this:
    '
    W: Failed to fetch http://cran.uk.r-project.org/bin/lin...dy/Packages.gz 301 Moved Permanently
    '
    New Install - 11.04 is the worst day's work ever done in Open Source.
    I'd rather use a mac. I'd rather use Vista!!!
    11.04 - better than win 98 for some applications.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast