Page 52 of 102 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Server 7.10: OpenLDAP + SAMBA Domain Controller

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Server 7.10: OpenLDAP + SAMBA Domain Controller

:@ it seems to be hanging same as always!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rickyjones View Post
    The "K88" just gives it a place in the start up process. Think of it as the priority. Each run level has a specific set of services that it starts. It starts those services in the order that you specify them.

-Richard
    oh ok i see, so we are telling it to start inbetween those 2 services.

Beans

right i went back into recovery mode to make sure it had input it, and it has, but rather than the directory for the file being "../init.d/*filename*" like all the other files, it is "/etc/init.d/slapd"

is this right?

also, are we sure that the slapd thing is the problem?

if we can't fix it, i think i might just cut my losses and start again tbh.

don't think i will bother using the GUI though as that just complicates things IMO now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It should be correct.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, would be to reinstall. After you install OpenLDAP initially then run the command that I posted earlier to fix the hanging issue.

-Richard
    I use both Windows and Linux. Is that a crime? || Ubuntu User # 16597

Beans

ok will try that.

thanks for all the help still don't know what i would do without you and this guide!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tombutcher1990 View Post
    ok will try that.

thanks for all the help still don't know what i would do without you and this guide!
    No problem! Good luck with the next install

Sincerely,
    Richard

Beans

S09slapd Fix

Thanks for the nice guide! Very helpful.

Have you considered editing the first post to add the S09slapd fix?
    Would have saved me ~5 hours (ran through the guide three times (including reinstalling Ubuntu), searched the web, read this entire thread, tried numerous variations, etc. ).

In the explanation it might be nice to reference (for more information/documentation about runtime levels and how Ubuntu handles startup scripts): http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=187.

I was able to boot into recovery mode and make the change. Two important things to note: 1) It is case sensitive. i.e. s09slapd is different than S09slapd. 2) S9slapd is different than S09slapd. Make sure to move it to S09slapd. I booted into recovery mode, made the change and it is working great. Hasn't hung since the fix.

On a separate note, Is there a way to expire the password for new users, so that they are forced to change their password (winxp) at first login?

Thanks again,
    Tim
    Last edited by timtodd; April 15th, 2008 at 07:36 PM.

Beans

:O tim are you kidding?!

i bet you that it what was going wrong then. i'm a bitch for the auto-change when typing in things like word! i bet i forgot to make sure it was case sensitive :@

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: S09slapd Fix

Quote Originally Posted by timtodd View Post
    Thanks for the nice guide! Very helpful.

Have you considered editing the first post to add the S09slapd fix?
    Would have saved me ~5 hours (ran through the guide three times (including reinstalling Ubuntu), searched the web, read this entire thread, tried numerous variations, etc. ).

In the explanation it might be nice to reference (for more information/documentation about runtime levels and how Ubuntu handles startup scripts): http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=187.

I was able to boot into recovery mode and make the change. Two important things to note: 1) It is case sensitive. i.e. s09slapd is different than S09slapd. 2) S9slapd is different than S09slapd. Make sure to move it to S09slapd. I booted into recovery mode, made the change and it is working great. Hasn't hung since the fix.

On a separate note, Is there a way to expire the password for new users, so that they are forced to change their password (winxp) at first login?

Thanks again,
    Tim
    Since I'm working on creating the next version of the guide I have not had the time to update the first post. It will be updated soon though!

On the other note, I'm not sure on how to configure that. I don't even know if its possible at this point. I wish I could help further!

Thanks,
    Richard

Beans

Richard,

Much thanks for a great how-to. I am learning so much from this.

In step 11 when I enter the code:

smbldap-populate -u 30000 -g 30000

I get the following return:

Code:
    adding new entry: dc=wisher,dc=com
    failed to add entry: no global superior knowledge at /usr/sbin/smbldap-populate line 495, <GEN1> lin
    e 2.
    adding new entry: ou=Users,dc=wisher,dc=com
    failed to add entry: no global superior knowledge at /usr/sbin/smbldap-populate line 495, <GEN1> lin
    e 3.
    adding new entry: ou=Groups,dc=wisher,dc=com
    e 4.
    adding new entry: ou=Computers,dc=wisher,dc=com
    e 5.
    adding new entry: ou=Idmap,dc=wisher,dc=com
    e 6.
    adding new entry: uid=root,ou=Users,dc=wisher,dc=com
    e 7.
    adding new entry: uid=nobody,ou=Users,dc=wisher,dc=com
    e 8.
    adding new entry: cn=Domain Admins,ou=Groups,dc=wisher,dc=com
    e 9.
    adding new entry: cn=Domain Users,ou=Groups,dc=wisher,dc=com
    e 10.
    adding new entry: cn=Domain Guests,ou=Groups,dc=wisher,dc=com
    e 11.
    adding new entry: cn=Domain Computers,ou=Groups,dc=wisher,dc=com
    e 12.
    adding new entry: cn=Administrators,ou=Groups,dc=wisher,dc=com
    e 16.
    adding new entry: cn=Account Operators,ou=Groups,dc=wisher,dc=com
    e 18.
    adding new entry: cn=Print Operators,ou=Groups,dc=wisher,dc=com
    e 19.
    adding new entry: cn=Backup Operators,ou=Groups,dc=wisher,dc=com
    failed to add entry: no global superior knowledge at /usr/sbin/smbldap-populate line 495, <GEN1> lin                e 20.
    adding new entry: cn=Replicators,ou=Groups,dc=wisher,dc=com
    failed to add entry: no global superior knowledge at /usr/sbin/smbldap-populate line 495, <GEN1> lin                e 21.
    adding new entry: sambaDomainName=wisher,dc=wisher,dc=com
    failed to add entry: no global superior knowledge at /usr/sbin/smbldap-populate line 495, <GEN1> lin                e 21.

Please provide a password for the domain root:
    No such object at /usr/share/perl5/smbldap_tools.pm line 353.
    Can you provide any advise?

Thanks again,

Kevin

Page 52 of 102 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast