Page 11 of 102 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Server 7.10: OpenLDAP + SAMBA Domain Controller

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu Server 7.10: OpenLDAP + SAMBA Domain Controller

Quote Originally Posted by rickyjones View Post
    How did you create the new LDAP user? Did you use the same commands from the guide to create the "ricky" user? Did you also assign a password (second command) from the guide?
    Yes, I followed your guide ... But I understand correctly: I should be able to login into the system now, right?

So if this isn't working although it should, I think I will check my steps again and see if I did something wrong. Isn't having a command line history a wonderful thing?

Beans

yeh you should be ale to connect now with a second user if you created it in the same manner

was your test user working before?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by scorp123 View Post
    Yes, I followed your guide ... But I understand correctly: I should be able to login into the system now, right?

So if this isn't working although it should, I think I will check my steps again and see if I did something wrong. Isn't having a command line history a wonderful thing?
    Yup, you will want to go back and check all the steps and make sure you did them correctly. If you followed everything and made no changes then it will work.

If you made any changes make sure that all the changes were replicated throughout the guide.

-Richard
    I use both Windows and Linux. Is that a crime? || Ubuntu User # 16597

Beans

Hello I'm trying to setup a ldap server via your guide but am having a problem. When i get to the end of step 9 and i reboot to see if everything is still gonna work my machine hangs on the load at, Starting kernel log daemon... I have tried this guide on two separate machines and have the same exact problem.. Not sure where I'm messing up any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Rashnu View Post
    Hello I'm trying to setup a ldap server via your guide but am having a problem. When i get to the end of step 9 and i reboot to see if everything is still gonna work my machine hangs on the load at, Starting kernel log daemon... I have tried this guide on two separate machines and have the same exact problem.. Not sure where I'm messing up any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    How much memory do you have? I've had others point out that less than 512MB will run into this issue. I've ran into it a few times in my trials, usually a hard reboot fixes it for me.

-Richard

Beans

The two test machines both just have 512 of ram ,and I have power cycled them and they still hang...

The machines are somewhat old (PIII 550s with 512 meg of ram)but these are all i have to test with.

Is there anything else i can look at to solve this issue

Thanks

Rash

Beans

ok got it going had to stick another stick of ram into the maching and now it works
    Thanks
    Rash

Beans

well i'm running it with 256mb ram (ddr, possibly ddr2) and it works fine, it has hung once on boot in about 2 weeks now.

i do have a rather more powerful processor though so all the factors added together and yeh, i can see why they hang at certain points.

i'm still getting some issues with mine :@ i think i will have to start again

i couldn't make it work at all if i change even the slightest setting. looks like the server is going to be called example forever now!! lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Attention:

I have finalized version 2.0 of this guide. It is currently posted on my website. I will be updating the first post with all the new information. It will take some time though to convert all the HTML into BBCODE.

Link: http://www.rrcomputerconsulting.com/...p?article_id=3

* I am not trying to get traffic to my site by doing this, so please don't look at this as spam!

Please be patient while I update the first post with all this new information.

Thanks,

-Richard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by rickyjones View Post
    I have finalized version 2.0 of this guide.
    It would be nice if you could add a small troubleshooting section in each step, e.g. "If this goes wrong, try this .... "

I am again having troubles: I can't login after step #13. My logins just hang indefinitely ... Not sure what I did wrong. I took notes of every step I did and it all looks OK ...

Page 11 of 102 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast