View Poll Results: Linux To Take Over The Low-End PC Market?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

125 86.21%
  • No

20 13.79%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux To Take Over The Low-End PC Market?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Linux To Take Over The Low-End PC Market?

Linux To Take Over The Low-End PC Market?

I read several articles on the web about this topic. It looks like business analysts are convinced that because of the public's lack of interest on Vista and that it can't run on low-end PCs leaves Linux as the only real alternative. Also Linux is free so, they said, MS cant compete.
    According to some, all this will start to happen in the first quarter of 2008 with the introduction of more cheap laptops, subnotebooks and desktops like the $200 Gos PC.

Do you guys think this is possible? I mean a take over by Linux on a whole market segment?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Linux To Take Over The Low-End PC Market?

So long as the hardware vendors bundle Linux, yes, it will sell in great numbers.

This will last until low-end PCs are capable of running Vista smoothly. I don't know when that'll happen, but the FOSS movement has a limited window of opportunity.
    Acer Aspire 5050-5554 w/ 4GB RAM upgrade. Ubuntu Aug 07 - Dec 08; Arch Linux Dec 08 - July 2011; Ubuntu again since July 2011.
    "Triclops": Home-built AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6570, 500GB HDD. Ubuntu/Windows-XP duo since Jun 2010.

Beans

Yup; and then it will seep into other areas and by then OS X will be huge. My prediction for global Linux domination is 2010 (based mostly on nothing ).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Vista is the next ME it wont ever be able to take the low end of the PC market. but once Microsoft stops selling xp then Linux will take over the gap.
    すべてと、そして、すべてへのリナックスは自由を鳴らせました。
    Linux to all, and to all, let freedom ring.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think you will see more internet appliances that run embedded linux on Via low-watt processors. Having a 12-watt appliance that streams music from your refrigerator running linux for under $100, I can see a market.

Car computers, refrigerator/kitchen computers, kid's learning computers. It's an exciting time in the FOSS community.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lostincyberspace View Post
    Vista is the next ME it wont ever be able to take the low end of the PC market. but once Microsoft stops selling xp then Linux will take over the gap.
    OSX will take over that gap, and is already starting to. I'm not a huge fan of OSX myself, but I find it to be a much more pleasant environment than XP.

Although, I suppose if you mean the economic gap left by XP, then yes, linux could take over some of it. Apple isn't exactly cheap.

Overall, Linux + Low end = success at this point in time, though we have to be careful not to be stuck with the stigma of "the operating system that runs on old computers," since there's a lot of mid and high level computing things that we can do and others can't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Speaking as an IT person in a large company, 40,000 users; I do not see Windows being displaced. Linux, and Ubuntu have come a long way compared to when I last looked at it 2 or 3 years ago. But, too often, you still have to "know what you are doing" to do something. Many of our users are not wanting to learn much new... this would change a lot of their processes and knowledge needed. Windows is too ingrained in our support processes. We are slow followers, not fast implementors. This could happen if Linux makes a larger dent first in other companies.

It is fun to have a lever with Microsoft though....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I voted yes in the poll as I would love to see Linux becoming more popular and helping with the developement of low-cost hardware, but as time moves on the ladder on hardware is being pulled up all the time, it won't be long till it's difficult to find hardware that will not be able to run Vista.

The Asus Eee is a splendid case in point. Not too long ago the cheapest equivalent was the Flybook which costs massively more.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I voted yes because I hope so. I've got my hubby using Ubuntu, and now my sister, complaining that her disc is full, is very interested.

You techy guys gotta be nice to us stupid old folk, there could be a lot more coming in here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Question Re: Linux To Take Over The Low-End PC Market?

I don't understand why some of you are saying that OS X is somehow bridging a gap in the low-end PC market...Apple products are very expensive and always will be. It's what lets Apple zealots feel good about paying for software that's usually a year or more behind what FOSS offers. You won't find an Intel Mac that isn't capable of running Vista as well.

OS X is gaining market share, certainly, but it's competing directly with Windows, not with FOSS. No proprietary OS is ever going to directly compete with GNU/Linux because they're not used by the same demographic. A former Ubuntu user I know (now a raging Mactard) used to like to argue that, "Linux just won't sell until it becomes more like Apple [in a business sense]." And that's the strength of FOSS - it's not for sale like Windows or OS X is.

Having said that, I still think a UNIX-like OS is a bad choice for people between the levels of "basic" and "power user." If all you need is a web browser, an email client, streaming audio and an IM client, it can be a brilliant solution. But once you start installing your own stuff, unless you get comfortable with the CLI and learn about how Linux actually functions you cannot maintain it at a level that's on par with Windows or OS X. Those OSes have everything automated because that's who they're geared toward - basic to power users. The power of UNIX operating systems is also a drawback when it comes to people who are not experienced and either don't want to learn or don't have time to learn how to properly maintain a UNIX-like OS.

Regardless of who takes over what "market segments," the strides that just Ubuntu, not even counting the numerous other distros, has made in "user-friendliness" is quite heartening and shows promise for a GNU/Linux OS that will be "n00b-friendly" at some point -- but it's not here yet.
    “The secret of politics? Make a good treaty with Russia.”
    ― Otto von Bismarck

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast