Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Are You Here?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why Are You Here?

Good Day All,
    This is just something I've noticed in the Ubuntu forums and not much in other forums. Quite a lot of the people here do not use Ubuntu at all. You will see, Mandriva user, openSUSE user, Debian user, Nexenta user, Fedora user, Sabayon user, Slackware user, and that is just to name a few. Also you will see Windows user. Why do you all hang out here? Is it the people, the amount of people or does your distro not have a good forum? I've even seen Windows user giving advice to linux users. I just really find this fascinating. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing but it just seems that a lot of wrong information could be giving out. All linux distros are not created equal. And granted you do see this more in the community forums than in the support forums and thats fine also. I guess all forums gets all kinds of people it just seems that I do see a lot of people here jump the Ubuntu ship for another distro. I find that strange also. No fights please, I was just trying to get the feel of why people do change and still remain the same.
    Thaniks,
    Eddie
    Iguana

Registered Linux User #490719

Beans

Re: Why Are You Here?

This is a very large forum, with many types of users, so it is no surprise to see all sorts of users here. Members who use other distros, OSX or Windows, probably have used Ubuntu and joined then and found the forum to be useful beyond Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    This is a very large forum, with many types of users, so it is no surprise to see all sorts of users here. Members who use other distros, OSX or Windows, probably have used Ubuntu and joined then and found the forum to be useful beyond Ubuntu.
    Probably, but I can't see why a person who has gone back to Windows would come here. Maybe OSX but not Windows. Then again this is a community forum.
    Eddie
    Iguana

Registered Linux User #490719

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

There are many different versions of Linux but at the heart they are still just that Linux.
    すべてと、そして、すべてへのリナックスは自由を鳴らせました。
    Linux to all, and to all, let freedom ring.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

No idea why I come here. I have one computer running ubuntu, but probably not for long, but I guess I like troubleshooting stuff.
    100 buckets of bits on the bus,
    100 buckets of bits,
    Take one down, short it to ground,
    FF buckets of bits on the bus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lostincyberspace View Post
    There are many different versions of Linux but at the heart they are still just that Linux.
    Hell, I'm an OpenBSD user, and I find Linux in general to be poorly written, poorly implemented, and poorly thought out. Doesn't stop me from posting. I'm here for lack of a better forum to poke about in. I like the bean count thing. Forget who it belonged to, but as I was poking about for the first time (looking at software people found interesting, incidentally), I noticed somebody with an avatar of a "mad hatter", with a Debian feather in the hat and an Ubuntu logo in the centre of the hat. Thought that was really neat, and combined with the coffee theme, made me stick around, if only to read threads. (Rarely post, admittedly)
    Last edited by Harpalus; December 12th, 2007 at 02:04 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Wilson View Post
    Probably, but I can't see why a person who has gone back to Windows would come here. Maybe OSX but not Windows. Then again this is a community forum.
    Eddie
    "Going back" is not really exclusive to using Windows only. They may still dualboot or use Ubuntu in a VM, or just have to use Windows for what they are doing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well, you can still get support for other distros here, and from what I've seen, this is one of the more active Linux forums and you get responses fast.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Harpalus View Post
    Hell, I'm an OpenBSD user, and I find Linux in general to be poorly written, poorly implemented, and poorly thought out. Doesn't stop me from posting. I'm here for lack of a better forum to poke about in. I like the bean count thing. Forget who it belonged to, but as I was poking about for the first time (looking at software people found interesting, incidentally), I noticed somebody with an avatar of a "mad hatter", with a Debian feather in the hat and an Ubuntu logo in the centre of the hat. Thought that was really neat, and combined with the coffee theme, made me stick around, if only to read threads. (Rarely post, admittedly)
    What does OpenBSD have to offer?

That was ThinkBuntu, the avatar you saw. He has since changed it, I think. (interestingly, he uses Mac OSX, not Ubuntu)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lostincyberspace View Post
    Yes, that's how I feel also.

I use Archlinux now and still spend way more time in the Ubuntu Forums. I still answer people's questions if I know the correct answer... most of the time they aren't distro specific. I just spend less time in the help areas, and more time in the "Other OS Talk".

I also started on Linux here. Ubuntu Forums was my first Linux experience, and xubuntu was my first distro... so I feel like Ubuntu will always be a part of my Linux experience. I like to keep up on the development and how the people are liking it... what's buggy, and what's improved. And if you do a Google search for anything related to Linux/Linux packages, there is usually an Ubuntu Forum thread discussing it.

I also have so many posts on the Ubuntu Forums and my (4 coffee cups) that it would be weird to not be a part of the Forums here, it's became a huge chunk of my internet experience, and I've sort of become a part of the Forums (just like everybody else with over 1000 beans and another 1000 cafe posts), so why would I not post here just because I changed distros...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast