Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • E-mail List (Subscription Based)

1 8.33%
  • IRC (Internet Relay Chat)

5 41.67%
  • Forums

4 33.33%
  • Combination (If Combination, which - explain in thread)

2 16.67%
  • Announcement type only, I don't like to talk or participate

0 0%

Thread: Ubuntu SC - IRC (Internet Relay Chat)

Beans

Thumbs down Ubuntu SC - IRC (Internet Relay Chat)

Greetings Carolitu (an attempt to be a clever word-smith),

We DO have an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) channel for those of you that do not know. You can find it by opening up your favorite IRC client and connecting to the server:

irc.freenode.net

And /join us in channel:

#unbutu-us-sc

If all of this sounds foreign to you, do not worry. We are working to make it easier via a simple java client on http://www.ubuntusc.com/ HOWEVER, in the meantime -- it is quite easy to join using any of your favorite IM clients such as Trilian, Pidgin, ChatZilla (FireFox Addon), etc.

Please just check out:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetRelayChat

For a better guide on how to get started on IRC in general.

Some clients I recommend for Linux are:

For command-line:
    irssi
    BitchX

For x Windows (KDE/Gnome/Etc.) [Can be found in apt]:
    xChat

For Windows (Yeah, yeah...I have to list them:
    mIRC
    Firefox add ons such as ChatZilla
    Plugins for your favorite IM Client

Please join us on IRC. I haven't seen many of you on it and I would love to see you on it.

If not, please join us in discussing anything on our mailing list. Heck, even make a post on here to get some type of discussing started. It can be anything from "I just let my dog out" to "I had a horrible weekend..." to "I love Linux!!!!!!!!" You be the judge. You make the post. You join the channel. You send the e-mail.

I look forward to hearing from everyone no matter the communication method(s) you choose. And I do not mind idling in the IRC channel. If anything, I encourage it!

Sincerely,

XQ / Craig Huffstetler

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu SC - IRC (Internet Relay Chat)

Hi!
    I added #unbutu-us-sc to my autostarts in irssi - see you online!

Beans

See you there!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm gonna bump this back to the front page because it needs further discussion. The forums in my opinion need to be used for in depth discussion, and explanation of your ideas. IRC is great for team meetings, and team collaboration. The e-mail lists are great for group announcements and notifying everyone about topics for the next IRC meeting, but, I think that your favorite instant messaging client is really great for collaboration in the sub teams when everyone is working together on something.

Flare and I recently got together via IRC and worked on the Wiki and it worked well, however if there would have been other traffic there things would soon have gotten confusing. I think that instant messaging would have worked very well in this case.

I use Pidgin. It is a snap to set up, and allows you to have multiple protocols active simultaneously. I always have IRC, ICQ, Y! IM, AOL IM, MSN IM, and a couple of others running constantly. That way any of my other friends can contact me at their leisure and anyone in the group can contact me if they want to chat or to work together on something, and I can monitor #ubuntu-us-sc and jump in anytime someone else wants to chat.

I know it sounds like I dont have a life, but on the contrary, it allows me to be quite productive, and still be very well connected, and only have a single client running! Bonus: I use it in Ubuntu AND Windows! That is the reason I have all those IM icons under my avatar in each post. (hint, hint)

Beans
    Hidden!

I just don't like the fact that GTALK/AIM/ICQ/WHATEVER are continuously monitoring my conversations for "marketing reasons"...or whatever reason they tell us why they need to keep statistics on how many times I say X word in a conversation.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by jcsteele View Post
    I just don't like the fact that GTALK/AIM/ICQ/WHATEVER are continuously monitoring my conversations for "marketing reasons"...or whatever reason they tell us why they need to keep statistics on how many times I say X word in a conversation.
    I hadn't heard that they did that, If I did I've forgotten about it. I don't see ads on any of my pc's due to ad blocking software and HOSTS file, and I really have never said anything while talking to someone that I wouldn't want anyone to hear. As a matter of fact, I show everything I do to my wife, she is QUITE uninterested in it, but still, I don't want her to suspicions to be aroused by anything. Her sis just went through a divorce due to her husband cheating on her, and we believe that he did it right under her nose via IM!

Anyway, I see your point but It doesn't bother me really if that is what they are doing. If I was worried about it I do have the ability to do some 2048 bit encryption!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jcsteele View Post
    You can use encryption...

Beans

Arrow Re: Ubuntu SC - IRC (Internet Relay Chat)

And yes, I agree with all points.

And I think we ALL USE INSTANT MESSAGING! We should all exchange IM names (via PMs/e-mail....). Then we can start group chat sessions every now and then.

But not all the time. This does not need to get overwhelming. This is volunteering...not stalking, and it should not consume our lives We all have friends, family, siginificant others, wives, husbands, boyfriends, girlfriends, etc...

You get where I'm heading. If we have a few people online on AIM/GTalk/or -wherever- DO NOT (and I repeat -DO NOT-) constantly request a group chat. That is annoying. That is the only draw back I see.

The purpose of IRC I see, and an advantage of it, is great so people can pop in and pop out, go idle, go away, or close their SSH window and leave the shell running. Users don't have to be bothered (it's like sending a text message instead of making that long phone call so you can avoid talking to someone for 5 minutes!). Know what I mean? I think we all do...

Also, to some new users, IRC is outdated. Specially NEW users to Ubuntu who switch from Windows (entirely switch). IRC was big when Linux/*nix was being developed. It's been dwindling in the past years.

SO, with this being said. I think the points above express excellent points for the usage of IRC, the Forums, the mailing lists and IRC.

I still think ALL METHODS aforementioned are UNDER UTILIZED for us. We need to start using them more. ALL AROUND. Not JUST IRC. The forums need to be used more. The mailing list DEFINITELY needs to be used more. IRC needs to be used more. Heck -- WE NEED volunteers for blogging on our site for WordPress.

For these volunteers for WordPress blog posting -- I would like writing samples -- AT LEAST two or three writing samples of blog posts or a link to YOUR BLOG. I.E.:
    http://www.fsckin.com/
    http://www.lifehacker.com/

(And tell me what you write on Lifehacker). OR ANYTHING. I just need what you write. I do not want junk writing I want proper English, etc. You will be OUR PUBLIC FACE. And this will be syndicated on Ubuntu.com's syndication feed.

So these are my thoughts. All of our communication fronts have been stagnant lately, it's not JUST IRC. It's everything.

We need to start picking them up. We need ACTIVITY. We need talking, we need brainstorming, we need i-d-e-a-s.

Craig

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Here Here! I agree! I dont mind if someone sees when I am online and wants to talk. It is difficult to tell them you dont have time, and sometimes you just want to talk. Maybe we should work on some guidelines. I do however give you guys permission to get in touch with me anytime you want to discuss something. IF you can catch me!

Beans

I can't log onto IRC freenode. What's going on?