View Poll Results: Should Apple port iTunes to Linux?

Voters
634. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I would use it.

265 41.80%
  • Yes, but I wouldn't use it even though I have an iPod.

43 6.78%
  • Yes, but I wouldn't use it since I don't have an iPod.

66 10.41%
  • Yes - other (please explain)

11 1.74%
  • No. People with iPods should use AmaroK, Rockbox, etc.

71 11.20%
  • No. People with iPods should use Wine, dual-boot, etc.

0 0%
  • No. We shouldn't encourage people to get iPods.

67 10.57%
  • No - other (please explain)

24 3.79%
  • Not sure how I feel about it.

13 2.05%
  • I don't care either way.

74 11.67%
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Apple port iTunes to Linux?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Should Apple port iTunes to Linux?

I've read a lot of strong opinions in favor of Apple porting iTunes to Linux and in opposition to Apple porting iTunes to Linux.

If you were Apple, do you think it would make sense to release iTunes for Linux? Why or why not?

Please post a response and answer the poll.

For further reading, check out these threads:
    Why Apple doesn't want to release iTunes for Linux
    Petition - iTunes for Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Should Apple port iTunes to Linux?

I don't even like itunes on my macbook. But if others want it, sure, I support bringing itunes to linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I voted yes but I won't use it.

Since iTunes is not only the 'device driver' but the sales outlet for canned music, Apple would demonstrate that they care not only for customers using Windows computers and - grudgingly - those using Mac OS X computers.
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I think we do need iTunes on Linux. It will make managing the iPod so much easier. Other iPod managing applications currently on Linux suck!

Beans

I see that a lot of people think we shouldn't encourage people to get ipods, I was just wondering why? All the common arguments aside, I've gone through many mp3 players and finally decided to get an ipod. I must say I do like it very much. I don't what it is exactly about it, but it just seems to work really well, it's smaller than anything else I've seen with 80-160gb of storage (except the zune, but I refuse to go there). I thought I would hate the ipod and itunes, but there management of podcasts alone were worth it for me

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't have an ipod, and given it's limited capabilities, I won't be getting one. Getting a different player instead (anythingbutipod.com is an excellent choice).

However, the people who already have an ipod are having a hard time on linux as I understand - so this'll definitely help them.

Edit: btw, you can get rockbox (click) or linux (click) on an ipod.
    Last edited by Vadi; December 7th, 2007 at 06:03 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I voted that I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I guess I can understand arguments from all sides.

From the business perspective, I think Apple would gain a lot of goodwill from the Linux community if it ported iTunes, but I don't think it would see any immediate increase in iPod sales.

From the Linux community perspective, it could be both harmful and beneficial. You could argue that anything that eases Windows users' transitions to Linux is a good thing. On the other hand, Apple is all about the vendor lock-in, and you're just moving people from being locked in to Apple at Windows to being locked in to Apple on Linux.

I moved away from iPods for a couple of reasons myself:
    • I know some people swear by AmaroK, Banshee, or GTKpod, but I never could get my iPod working properly with those.
    • I sometimes like to listen to the radio, and no iPods come with radios in them.
    • I'm trying to move in the Free direction, and iPods don't support Ogg natively.
    • I don't want to bother with Rockbox or iPodLinux.
    • I like cheap players. Even my iAudio 7, which is more expensive than the Sandisk player I had before, is still cheaper than the iPod Nano.
    I used to depend on iTunes a lot, but now I'm fine with Rhythmbox, Sound Juicer, and my Cowon iAudio player.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by stlcoptony View Post
    I see that a lot of people think we shouldn't encourage people to get ipods, I was just wondering why? All the common arguments aside, I've gone through many mp3 players and finally decided to get an ipod. I must say I do like it very much. I don't what it is exactly about it, but it just seems to work really well, it's smaller than anything else I've seen with 80-160gb of storage (except the zune, but I refuse to go there). I thought I would hate the ipod and itunes, but there management of podcasts alone were worth it for me

thanks
    When you say "a lot of people", do you mean the one person who voted for that option?

You're right though, I have seen a lot of ipod-bashing, especially from linux types. I just got one of the new nano's to replace my hard-drive only iAudio X5, and while there are things I don't like about the nano, all in all it's a pretty awesome little player. I especially like how the ipods go to sleep, whereas most other players I've seen actually power down when you turn them off. I'm sure that has its advantages, but in normal use, you're going to be charging the thing every few days or so anyway, so I doubt the power consumption really makes a difference.

I think there's just a strong pull in a lot of people to go against the mainstream. They see something like the ipod being a fashion accessory instead of a music player, and all of a sudden they don't want to get it because they don't want to be associated with "mainstream". It's exactly the opposite of the people who buy things because they are fashionable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

On one side giving more people and outlet to purchase music online is good.

On the other hand the DRM associated with iTunes music is bad.

But if you are just talking about the player and iPod syncronizer then I guess it wouldn't be that bad.

I wouldn't use it either way since I didn't purchase on iPod.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Curtisc View Post
    When you say "a lot of people", do you mean the one person who voted for that option?
    Yes, I did. I just looked at the bar graph and not the amount of total voters, oops. I was one of those people who did not want an ipod because everyone had one. Except for sound quality (which I think is much better on others, like the creative products) I haven't found a downside to ipods yet (well, I guess itunes not being available on linux is a problem. Does anyone know of a combination program to sync an ipod with linux and manage podcasts. how would find all the ones i already subscribe to and redownload them all?

thanks

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast