Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Ubuntu for You?

Beans

Re: Is Ubuntu for You?

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    Please don't twist what's basically a marketing slogan ("Linux for Human Beings") to mean that just about anyone can actually install Ubuntu on any computer and not have to learn anything to get it working.
    This is my pet peeve personally.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Can we please add something about "you can dual boot if you want."
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Can we please add something about "you can dual boot if you want."
    Sure thing.

Beans

excellent article, aysiu
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Registered Linux User #391336
    matthias media two ways to live - the choice we all face
    www.matthiasmedia.com.au/2wtl

Beans

Here is a great guide for new users that wish to dual boot:

http://www.tipmonkies.com/2005/06/23...ning-a-primer/
    - Mark Shuttleworth

arnieboy Guest

yeah my ole friend aysiu slam dunked on this one. way to go bro :)

Beans

A complete Linux noob, I'd heard that Ubuntu had made steps in Linux "Usability", so I thought that I'd give it a try. A little googling homework to make sure I got the partitioning thing right, a deep breath and I dived in.

By following all the helpful posts here (and at the guide and Wiki) it was'nt bad at all! I had some semi-serious problems getting sound, but after that it was all downhill.

Now I've got this incredible, new OS which I'm loving more as each day goes by, (and learning about it too), my Windows partition is shrinking daily as Ubuntu takes over those tasks.

I would say that if you have a desire to learn new stuff, and have minimal knowledge it's more than worth the effort.

Oh by the way, thanks for all the help!

Beans

Writing this post was a great idea
    Very good article

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

AMEN brother
    I LOVE THE ARTICLE

Beans

I'm a beginner,

1 - I know when migrating to Linux from Windows, I have to expect even absolute different and will face a newbie "again" great difficulty, but I'm on it.
    2 - I know this is free software so I can't complain about well this is not as easy as windows, hardware not supported bla bla, well for an ex Windows ofcourse there will be a bit thinking of comparison, but still that doesn't mind if I can fix same problem with different approach.
    3 - I know I must learn alot about new things ofcourse, and I like that.

Ok all those things can be fixed just by learning new things.

But.... unfortunately, even in this forum and others such as linuxquestions.org, sometimes, newbie doesn't get answer to fix a problem, even if they patiently, sincerely and actively asking and learning.

I my self doesn't know why, it is easier to learn about fixing windows problem compared to fixing linux problem from the community and internet searching.

May be people need more educated the linux (unix) way rather than commonly used windows in school worldwide. I live in 3rd world country, all school here only install Windows and so there is almost no linux known here for common student except just the name or for quite a geek one. Even in University only a slice of material been teached and it only the skin of every of it. That make student lack of interest and forget it kind of attitude.

Another thing is, in actual business world here, many uses windows, thats why knowledgeable of windows more interesting to have compared to linux in school.

Thats the reality (maybe only in here), but still I really hope linux community really have patience to help a newbie like me, because without help no one can learn anything. Even I tried to help myself by searching topics on google, sometimes that is specific things hard to find and not helping at all.

Also what I feel is, sometime the experts trying to help doesn't realize that the person asking is ABSOLUTELY newbie, and so there kind of attitude like "hey do this short of things and you know the rest how to implement it". While actually newbie really need a step by step approach to learn, because Linux is HUGE new area to conquer, no absolute newbie can understand alot of it just by short of things.

Thank You
    and ---- HELP ME!!! hahahaha

Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast