Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overheard at work: Open Office becoming more mainstream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Talking Overheard at work: Open Office becoming more mainstream

In the fencing waiting room last night, a teenager came out of his lesson and chatted to his mother while waiting for her to finish what she was doing on her laptop.

Son: We should buy Microsoft Office for [someone]. He doesn't have it.
    Mother [slightly disbelieving]: He doesn't have Microsoft Office?
    Son: No. We should get it for him.
    Mother: Well you're the big programming genius ...
    Son: Yeah, I know ...

I'm not entirely sure with how that's relevant unless she expects him to pirate Office for this person or write all new Office-esque software or something, but I'm thinking about here that no 'programming genius' - I think she meant computer genius, really - would get Microsoft Office for anyone. They'd get an alternative.

Mother: What about Open Office? You know ... [Son is not responding; I am getting a distinct 'I don't know what that is, which means my mother knows more about this than I do, but she just called me a programming genius and I do not want to look like an idiot so I'm going to keep my mouth shut' vibe from him] It's like Microsoft Office, but it's ... free? You know? [Still no response. Vibe from the mother says, 'I think I know what I'm talking about, but I'm not entirely sure, and my son is not responding, so maybe I'm making an idiot of myself here, but he's not being derisive or contradicting me, and I think I know what I'm talking about, so I shall plough on.'] Or Google Documents. We use that at work sometimes now ... you know?
    Son: [coming to a bit, with a distinct 'Thank god, I can contribute something I know, however small' vibe] Google Documents is good 'cause you can access it anywhere.
    Mother: Yeah. But maybe something like that?

They packed up and left about then. I was so blown away and pleased to hear this middle-aged woman talking about Open Office to her son. I'm glad her workplace has a clue, even if her 'programming genius' kid doesn't. Yet. I hope he figures things out.

Michael
    'To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.'
    --e.e. cummings

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Overheard at work: Open Office becoming more mainstream

I'm also under the impression that many people are aware of openoffice, and use it. It's great
    Against TCPA | Hell, it's about time! | FORZA FERRARI
    Almost Sober tour 2008

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by ftmichael View Post
    Son: We should buy Microsoft Office for [someone]. He doesn't have it.
    Mother [slightly disbelieving]: He doesn't have Microsoft Office?
    Son: No. We should get it for him.
    Why would you buy an office suite for someone? What possible reason would they have to just randomly give an expensive office suite to someone?

Other than that it's a nice story

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by happysmileman View Post
    Why would you buy an office suite for someone? What possible reason would they have to just randomly give an expensive office suite to someone?

Other than that it's a nice story
    I would like someone to buy MS Office for me because when I put hot drinks on my coffee table they can leave a ring.
    If you had a million Shakespeares, could they write like a monkey?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

yep^^ i use OpenOffice most of the time, and a version of office from my school on windows XD but no, i wouldn't pay anything for a fancy notepad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Thats pretty cool - the other day my girlfriend said that the people at her work (shes a youth worker so nothing to do with computers) started discussing whether its worth trying linux. My gf said that I use it and that its suppose to be good but then she went on to say that i was a geek and you have to be a geek to use it.
    "We have nothing to fear but fear itself. And Chuck Norris." - President Roosevelt

Beans

It's a shame OO.o is crap on anything but Windows.
    A Fedora user

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by bruce89 View Post
    It's a shame OO.o is crap on anything but Windows.
    Yeah I loved OO.o when I was using windows but it's slow as hell for me on Ubuntu. Maybe I'm just used to everything else being faster? I dunno.

I still use it though because of the document restore feature. I suck at remembering to save things before shuttin down the lappy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I like OO on ubuntu

they sell it here in NZ for like 5-10 dollars in some stores
    the same chain of stores sells ubuntu 7.04 for 10

the companies name is **** Smith Electronics
    http://www.dse.co.nz/

Alot of people here seem to use OO because its available in the store and its cheaper
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything don't do it.

Beans

I overheard two old ladies (probably over 60) talking about how Firefox was better for web browsing.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast