Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: MIDI Software Synthesis

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: MIDI Software Synthesis

The * Midi*SoftwareSynthesisHowTo page says:

You may then install the package 'eawpatches' (a 31 MB download). Alternatively, if you don't want to add this repository, you may download the package here: http://www.fbriere.net/debian/dists/etch/misc/deb/

the link is dead for me as of 1-21-09.

Please tell me how to install the 24 meg patch.
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_in_Hollywood View Post
    The * Midi*SoftwareSynthesisHowTo page says:

You may then install the package 'eawpatches' (a 31 MB download). Alternatively, if you don't want to add this repository, you may download the package here: http://www.fbriere.net/debian/dists/etch/misc/deb/

the link is dead for me as of 1-21-09.

Please tell me how to install the 24 meg patch.
    I just updated the URL for eawpatches package. Mentioned this already but forgot to change the HowTo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just updated the HowTo with the link for the latest version of eawpatches package 12-1~fbriere.5 for those who do not use the repository.

Beans

I can't get permissions to edit the /etc/timidiy/timidity.cfg file. I am new to Ubuntu and don't know how to gain the necessary permissions. Can someone do a step-by-step on how to edit such files through the terminal?

Beans

did you try
    sudo gedit /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg
    and keying in your user password when the system asks for a password ?

Alain
    www.comitedequartiermessidor.be
    Last edited by alainhenry; October 15th, 2009 at 06:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by schaumkeks View Post
    I just updated the URL for eawpatches package. Mentioned this already but forgot to change the HowTo.
    Neither `sudo apt-get install eawpatches` nor Synaptic could find 'eawpatches'. I visited the site and found the verification key and installation instructions. After adding the key, Synaptic found 'eawpatches' and it is installing as I write this.

The verification key and instructions to install it can be found at: http://www.fbriere.net/debian/

As of this date, Sun March 28, 2010 03:17, the instructions read (I'm quoting the web page above):

"How to verify package signatures

All packages in this collection can be verified against my OpenPGP public key. (Of course, since this key isn't signed by anybody else at the moment, the web of trust doesn't extend far, but it's somewhat better than nothing.)

To enable this verification, you need to add this key to apt's keyring. Here's one of the various possible ways to do this:

wget -O- http://www.fbriere.net/public_key.html | sudo apt-key add -

Running apt-get update will then verify this archive's signature.

(See Debian Wiki for a thorough explanation of secure apt.)"

Hope this helps others as it helped me!

John

Beans

TiMidity doesn't autostart in Ubuntu 12.04

Hello,

I am trying to get TiMidity to start on boot on Ubuntu 12.04.
    I followed the instructions on the Help wiki, and when I start it manually, it works, and I can use TuxGuitar to play through the new Midi ports.

I start it manually with, per the wiki:
    timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100

I also added the modules to /etc/modules, and changed /etc/default/timidity line:
    TIM_ALSASEQ=true

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: TiMidity doesn't autostart in Ubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by kblood View Post
    Hello,

I am trying to get TiMidity to start on boot on Ubuntu 12.04.
    I followed the instructions on the Help wiki, and when I start it manually, it works, and I can use TuxGuitar to play through the new Midi ports.

I start it manually with, per the wiki:
    timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100

I also added the modules to /etc/modules, and changed /etc/default/timidity line:
    TIM_ALSASEQ=true

Can anyone help? Thanks!
    Wish I could, but I'm actually running into the same problem myself.

Beans

Re: TiMidity doesn't autostart in Ubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by DemonSharkKisame View Post
    Wish I could, but I'm actually running into the same problem myself.
    Same here.

Also, something strange I noticed. When I edit /etc/default/timidity, it looks like this:

Code:
    # uncomment to override enabling triggered by availability of timidity-deamon
    # TIM_ALSASEQ=false
    But, according to the wiki, it should be

Code:
    # TIM_ALSASEQ=true
    Anyway, I changed it to true and uncommented it. Just thought it should be clearer.

I'm using Linux Mint 12 Mate, btw.

UPDATE: Well, it was working when I tried manually. Then I tried to make it work on startup. It didn't. Now I changed /etc/default/timidity and /etc/modules to the way they were before, but timidity just won't work anymore. Beautiful.

ANOTHER UPDATE: then I struggled with Qsynth, to no avail, then I uninstalled and reinstalled TiMidity, and it's working again. I'll just be satsified with that.
    Last edited by BozoDel; July 31st, 2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: update, mispelling, another update

Beans

Good golly, now it works when I test it with some random midi, but not the server. I didn't change a thing from the time it was working.

EDIT so very sorry about this post. Turns out timidity WAS working properly, but DOSBox wasn't, cause I had overwritten some part of the config file. It's alright now.
    Last edited by BozoDel; August 2nd, 2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: problem solved

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast